Bakelite fuel cap

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Bakelite fuel cap

Postby ranton_rambler » Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm

I got a reproduction fuel cap with my pile of bits, but as it had no seal I bought another from Stafford Show. Once I had the tank on, that was the cap I fitted but petrol fumes started to melt it! So I swapped the seal over to the first one. It’s not melting but the material does appear to be going crumbly. Also had no breather hole, which possibly explains why my little test ride last night involved a few unscheduled stops. It’s got a 1mm hole in the middle now so we’ll try again tomorrow.
I think I’ve seen an alloy version somewhere. Can anybody point me to it?
Ian

Eldert

Re: Bakelite fuel cap

Postby Eldert » Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 am

Hi Ian

i bought a very good replica fuel cap from bevelrubber in Australia . it has a domed innercap with venthole and a leather seal . fitted better then the Indian made rep caps to.

Eldert

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi Ian
There was a dodgy batch of caps made in India made of plastic that melted. That was years ago and I suspect they have found there way back onto the market again. Not had any complaints about the later bakerlite caps made in India, but I'm sure Bevelrubbers caps are better design and qaulity. You only get what you pay for :-)
Nigel

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat May 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks Nigel, got it from someone reputable, mentioning no names, but not you!
Bevel Rubber version is a bit pricey, so perhaps will see how I get on for a bit.
Can’t find the alloy version anywhere, so perhaps I imagined it?

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 pm

There were some aluminium fuel caps around a few years ago for fitting to the Elite/175 models with a screw cap.
I have got one on a 175 Sport.
The problem with them is that the aluminium that the cap is made from corrodes to the threaded steel tank neck and becomes very hard to remove, certainly too tight to remove at the gas station when re-fueling.
With the recessed cap on the Elite and 175 Sport tanks it is almost impossible to get a good enough grip on the cap to unscrew it. I finally removed mine with a hammer and a block of wood.
I would try and find a quality plastic or bakerlite one that is fuel resistant and use that.

Jon

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Pretty sure ones from a Benelli or Wards are the same as for a Ducati. I’ve seen loads of NOS ones on eBay over the years. Keep an eye out for one on there. Not sure if the vintage caps have a problem with modern petrol.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3605593793
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri May 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Bike runs well with vent hole in cap, but spits fuel out of the hole. Parts Book shows an ‘anti-splash ‘ device which I think is a domed rubber piece. I’ll see if I can find one!

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Made a steel insert to fit behind the leather seal, and that seems to have sorted it out. The Bevelrubber cap is a bit pricey!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”