175 TS Speedo Drive Replacement

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Samurai

Re: 175 TS Speedo Drive Replacement

Postby Samurai » Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Just a quick update on progress in fixing my problem I case it may help someone else in future.

Having done a lot of digging on the internet and then realising what some will think is obvious (though it wasn't to me!), that many of the Veglia and CEV speedo drives for sale on eBay were either intended for clocks which span the opposite way, or more likely, were intended to be fitted on the left-hand side of the front wheel and not the right as is the case with my bike.

Result is that when I put it on the 'correct' side, the cable rotated 'backwards'. I finally took the plunge and managed to remove the pins that lock the brass output stub and blanking end into the housing. It was a bit of a fiddle as the hole they locate in on the CEV drive, is blind and you can't drift them out as I could on the original Veglia item. However, one was fairly loose and gave up with just some wiggling of the output stub, which allowed me to remove the worm gear. Unable to remove the other pin, I resorted to trying to loosen its hold by using a drift through the section that previously held the worm gear. This worked, but in doing so, a small part of the casing near to the pin split off.

I was then able to reverse the direction of rotation, by swapping the worm gear around so it exited the opposite side. I replaced the pin in the undamaged side, using bearing seal to ensure a good it and repaired the small broken part of the casing at the other end with slow setting Araldite (a two-part epoxy glue in the UK) - my go-to emergency permanent repair tool!

With a new longer cable installed, to allow for the adaptor I had to buy to attach the standard M12 Speedo cable to the M10 output stub used on the CEV drive, I now have a working Speedo once more!

Unfortunately, although I thought the ratio of this drive was a match to the old Veglia version, the indicated speed appears to be a relatively consistent 10mph out throughout the range. I had in the meantime bought a wired, Sigma bicycle Speedo, attaching a magnet to the front hub using removable velcro Command Tape. This small and relatively cheap (£25) device, allows you to manually enter the wheel circumference to calibrate it and when followed by my wife in our car, appears pretty accurate.

For the moment I'm using both Speedos together, although now I know I just need to subtract approx 10mph from the original Speedo, I could easily manage without.

Nigel Lacey was kind enough to point out that the original Veglia Speedo should have the correct ratio stamped on it somewhere, though I've yet to remove it to have a look. I'd still be left with the problem of finding a drive that is correct though. It does seem from all the people I've contacted, that the early Veglia Speedo drives are pretty much unobtainable, so beware!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”