Motogiro d'Italia Advice Needed

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Samurai

Motogiro d'Italia Advice Needed

Postby Samurai » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Ok Guys, things are starting to get a little real now that the restoration of my 175TS has practically finished and shakedown runs and fettling have commenced.

It has always been my dream, since getting my first Ducati (a 600 Monster) back in 2004, to restore a single and ride it in the Motogiro d'Italia. After years of blood, sweat and many tears, not to mention a shed load of cash, I really start to planning the practicalities of entering next year's event e.g. 2020.

I'm based in the UK and am hoping that anyone who has ridden in the event might be able to give me some advice as to which class I could enter, if anyone else is going from the UK, how to transport the bike there economically and what to expect!

I've obviously checked out the Motogiro website and read through the 'translated' material, but I'm still a little unclear on what class my 1959 model 175 TS might be eligible for?

From what I can make out, it won't be eligible for the the Historic Recalling class as the bike is a year too 'young' and isn't a sport model in any case. This seems to leave either the competitive Vintage class (but this seems to give preference to bikes made between 1966 and 1969), or the non-competitive Tourist class. Is this a correct interpretation?

Although, it would be nice to compete in the full event, my main aim would be just to follow the route and enjoy the whole thing. Again, any advice as to the pros and cons of each in practice, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any advice anyone may be able to give.

Cheers,

Jason.

ranton_rambler

Re: Motogiro d'Italia Advice Needed

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 am

Might be tempted to join you - what are dates next year?
If you’re on Facebook it might be worth asking on one of the Ducati Singles groups if no replies on here.
Ian

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 am

Hello Jason

I would contact/join the Ducati owners club or visit them at a show like Stafford. I know quite a few in the DOC who have been doing the Giro's for years.

Regards Nigel

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Nigel,

Good advice and this was in fact going to be my next port of call, so I'll be signing up!

Ian, I'd be delighted to have the company. This year's Giro starts on 26th May, so they won't publish details of next year's event just yet, usually in August/September. However, it's usually around the same sort of time and places are strictly limited. There is usually a discount as an incentive to putting your deposit down early too.

If you're interested, the website link is below and you can select an English language version too.

https://www.motogiroitalia.it/en

My wife was intending to ride in the Tourist Class, to accompany me on my Bucket List trip, but she suffers problems with her shoulders and neck and I suspect she won't manage that sort of distance without a lot of suffering. She still wants to come, but we might have to see if she can hook up with another couple in similar circumstances, so that they can hire a car and meet up at the end of the day that way.

If you're still interested, PM me and we can discuss further.

Keep the help and advice coming! If anyone has actually taken part, I'd love to hear what exactly to expect. I've talked to Brian Silver (Moto Mariana) and someone else I met at the Bristol Classic Bike Show a few years ago and it sounded tough but thoroughly enjoyable.

Cheers,

Jason.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Timing might work, as we have a factory shutdown at end of May normally. Will casually mention at home sometime. Although my other half isn’t interested in motorcycles, she likes Italy.

eib

Postby eib » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Yeah, on my Wish-list too!

Before his death last year, my brother did the event many times. Including twice on his (now my) 350 Scrambler and my other brother used it for two other visits. I know he really enjoyed the events, although I don't think he took them as seriously as he might have, just enjoying the craic.

Anyway, other than saying: 'Go for it' not sure how much I can help.

But Good Luck! and I hope one day to take the Scrambler for its 5th visit.

Best wishes

eib
Ed I Bremner
350 Scrambler
MG 850T3 cali
Montesa Cota 247 Trail
Plymouth, UK

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks Ed,

Good to know that your brother obviously enjoyed it, I'm sure it will be a special event for you to ride on his old bike when you have a chance.

Ian, there may be the beginnings of a plan here, let me know how it is received ;)

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:33 pm

We'd better take some tools and a workshop manual if we're going to attempt this. Our bikes are not winning the reliability prize at the moment, with your speedo drive failure and mine now has the head off, so I can get the spark plug thread repaired. Seemed OK before, but most of the threads came out with the plug when I took it out to check the colour.

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Oh mate, I feel for you! Been down that road and got the tee-shirt :roll:

I call mine 'the bike which keeps on giving'! Sure doesn't seem like it wants to go back to the land of it's birth without a fight . . .

Upside is that I found a Veglia Speedo drive on eBay in the States, which although it looks very slightly different from mine, has the same 'ratio' figures quoted that match the number of teeth I counted on the gears. So I've taken a punt as it's a good price and is unused NOS, complete with felt washer covering the gears!

Fingers crossed as the only other one I found that had the numbers quoted by Hans, was prefixed 98V and not 175V. Once I located the Spanish parts book that Hans must have got the part numbers from, it transpires that this means it was for the 125cc bikes with 17 inch wheels, so the ratios would be wrong.

Hopefully you can get your plug hole repaired soon and get back to playing with the fuelling!

I would say 'keep plugging away', but that may not be so funny for you at the moment. Damn, gone and said it now ;)

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:15 pm

It only takes an hour to get the head off, including removing the seat and tank, and it's round at my friend's house now. He's away next week, but hopefully will get it back soonish.
Every cloud has a silver lining - as I can't do much else with it, I can tidy up the wiring which I was putting off, and also try and sort the seat out. Either repair/remake the cover for the original, or make up something a bit more comfortable with some foam in it. Leaning toward the latter at the moment as I have a bit of vinyl left over from a Guzzi project a couple of years ago.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”