crankcase wont split

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

Re: crankcase wont split

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Created some damage tonight,
I was removing bearings from the crankcases, heated in oven to 100 deg C, LH case, all removed fine.
RH case all out except to bearing behind the clutch pushrod seal, I had a look online but failed to find info on removal, I found a parts site showing the clutch pushrod seal like a large washer with the rubber in the middle so I thought I should just tap that from clutch actuator side...I damaged a bit of the casing just inside where the washer sits, a piece about 10mm long where the seal would sit against and of course I can see now that was not the way to try remove that bearing, so it is still stuck there.
My stupid fault, I had not read anywhere about issues removing this bearing. I was never too confident with this machine due to the complexity of the engine construction and the expense of parts, I have other old bikes but British German or japanese but no experience with Ducati singles.
I think an oil/temp resistant expoy could replace the small chip but I am so annoyed by my actions, I had been so slow and careful before this... giving up feels better.
I had been swithering between selling it as a project or renovating it, at least I have not yet bought any parts for it.

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Don’t give up. There is much satisfaction to come once you get it sorted.

Graeme

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 pm

You aren't the first to do this, I have fixed quite a few over the years, all is not lost! At least you didn't drill holes through the casing, which is another worse error, which is much harder to fix nicely. If the bearing won't fall out you will need an internal extractor. My usual repair for the case is to machine a counterbored hole from the inside and add a bronze top hat housing from the inside behind the bearing. If you need help with this give me a call.

Regards Nigel

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 am

Hi Graeme, as Nigel said, you are not the first and will not be the last. I did exactly the same thing!

I managed to get an experienced engineer and bike mechanic to weld the damage and re-machine the face, although Nigel's idea seems quite an elegant solution and is probably a lot less complex to carry out.

What I can report is that my repair seems sound and has remained oil tight for over 750 miles now. So, everything is fixable and you've learned a valuable lesson that makes you more of a Ducati expert than the next guy to attempt the same job with the same experience :D

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 am

Over the years, I worked on many w/c engines. As far as I remember, even after heating the bearing in question in none of these engines came off without the application of an internal extractor. Seems the overlap of bearing against bearing seat is more negative compared to all others. In some cases, I had to use a C4 bearing in order to have the inner ring spinning freely after mounting and cool-down of the engine half.

Tip: retain your heavy steel hammers far away from your work bench ;)

cheers Hans

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 am

Thank you to everyone for your kind and helpful advice.
I was pretty annoyed with myself last night but I feel encouraged to try to sort the damage.
Will try get a bearing puller today then have a closer look, I am unsure how the original clutch pushrod washer/seal fits withing the housing, is it a small hole in which the majority of the rubber seal is compressed from the inside by the bearing pushing on the metal part of the seal/washer?
Are there any epoxies that could be used to sort this lip damage?
Here in Scotland, I am not confident to find any machine shops who would have the capability or desire to weld and machine so Nigel's method could be ideal.
You can see the chip and fragment along with the seal/washer that I punched out.
Just had a look at the case photos I posted before damaging the seal lip and it is not clear to me how this seal was fitted, I can only see the rubber part of the seal which appears to be behind the metal of the case? this is what led me to think this was a large rough shape washer with a rubber seal below fitted under the bearing so I tried to tap out the bearing from outside the case where I could clearly see the metal washer with the rubber inside in what was a staked part of the housing.

Regards

case chip.jpg

case chip 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 am

Thinking of Nigel's solution, some products I could maybe adapt and fit in an oil seal within the new bush with the correct external and internal diameters? Third link maybe none small enough.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Beari ... index.html

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Beari ... index.html

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engin ... index.html

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am

The bearing can be removed if you arc weld the head of a suitable long bolt to the inner race.
Make sure the bolt ends up fairly perpendicular.
Then you can use the threads like a puller.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Good idea Jordan, thanks.
I was wondering if any puller could fit under the bearing, does not look like there is any room for puller legs.
A long bolt welded on and use a slide hammer to extract? welding will heat the case too.

Regards

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:45 pm

The proper tool to use is a blind hole bearing puller.

Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”