Decent rear shocks ?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Decent rear shocks ?

Postby graeme » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm

The best shocks I have used on a single are Koni.
Tried hagon, yss and other cheaper brands but all too hard so far.
Don’t want to spend thousands on big name brands and can’t afford that.
Suggestions?

Regards
Graeme

Jon Pegler

Re: Decent rear shocks ?

Postby Jon Pegler » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:01 pm

The shocks sold by Hagons have a spring rate fairly similar to the original Marzocchi shocks and are much too hard for road use, in my opinion, although I know other people who disagree on this matter.
As standard, the Hagon shocks come with springs that require 14kg/cm of deflection.
I always get them to fit 12kg springs which makes for a much better ride.
I did once try 10kg springs but that was way too soft and caused bottoming out all too frequently.
Hagons will always sell a set of softer springs on their own if you already have a pair of shocks with the harder springs fitted.

Jon

Gianni

Postby Gianni » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Graeme

Since they are local to you, is there something wrong with IKON? I seem to recall Australian boosters
of the make endorse them on the BH list. They do resemble the Konis I had on my 900SS.

John

graeme

Postby graeme » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:40 am

Hello John

I’ve heard that Ikon are not the same quality that Koni were.
I had planned to buy a pair until I heard that from a few people.

Hello Jon,

I bought a new pair of Hagon shocks for a Commando, the first 20 to 30mm they are good the they are very hard. And that is on a heavy bike.
I hear what you are saying re the heavy spring rate.

Graeme

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi Graeme,
I still have the original marzochi shocks on my 350 widecase mark3 but surprise surprise the chrome fell off them long ago!, and they were always too hard for me even on the softest setting, ( I only weigh 9.5 stones) so about five years ago after a lengthy and detailed conversation with Hagon shocks they were able to supply me with a progressive rate pair of chrome springs which fitted perfectly and were about 10% softer than the originals, on my first 250 desmo some years ago I fitted sebac shocks and they were fine, I don't know if they are still available.
Cheers,
George

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi Graeme
I used some Ikons about 10 years ago and they seemed fine to me, but I would say I do remember being somewhat disappointed when I took them out the box. I think the welding/chroming left a bit to be desired. Having seen the price of IKONS, I would say it would be worth trying to customise some Hagons to suit. The Hagons I put on my GTS were too soft and two up they bottomed too easily on the top preload. I guess if they just copy the originals, that doesn't guarantee best set up. Also rider weight and riding style will mean it's impossible to have one spec to suits all. Hagon Springs are relatively cheap unlike I recall the IkONS which I ended up swapping springs as well. Hagons did make some shocks with adjustable dampers which is what I used on my GTS and that at least allowed a bit of adjustment. Tried to look at Hagons website yesterday and information was limited, unlike before.

Regards Nigel

aerojack7654

Postby aerojack7654 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi Graeme,
I put some Australian Gazi shocks on my 350 and have been very happy with them. They were beautifully made, very adjustable and in my opinion had a very high quality look. They cost more than Hagons (had a pair on my Honda Black Bomber, wasn't that impressed), but definitely better kit.

Regards,
Jack

Gianni

Postby Gianni » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Don't know anything about these folks, but saw them as a source for re-pop Ceriani GP forks:

http://caferacersuspension.com/shocks.html

They are in Hungry, but appear to have a UK distributor: JOHN CRONSHAW RACING in Lancashire.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”