350 crankshaft question

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DBDBrian

Re: 350 crankshaft question

Postby DBDBrian » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Nigel
Something else to check then, fortunately the cases have not yet been finally assembled.
Thanks Brian
Brian
Made in England

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Well, I am informed!

Undue wear on the timing side bush of the Ducati singles baffled me, and I just accepted it's one of their quirks.
Never mind, it doesn't cause lubrication problems. We just need to be aware when using a dial gauge.

The oil pump misalignment is another revelation. We non-technical types just assume everything is "perfect".
Wary engineers know better.
An Oldham coupling would have been a nice detail here.
Or maybe an enclosed semi-circular coupling and self-aligning bearing? :)

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi Matt, Yes I've seen a crank leaking through the inner centre, Not sure if it was Spanish.

Here are a couple of examples of the Italian factories More meticulous Crank Machining :-)

Slight misalighnment to the forging here, socket extension in the hole to demonstate.

IMG_9025.JPG

Pin bore not fully ground, quite common on bevel twins. Should be okay.......

IMG_9331.JPG

Always expect the unexpected!

Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi Nigel,

I've seen at least one NC single with the pin bore not fully cleaned up by the final machining operation. It came with an oversize pin marked "+3" from the factory and the pin bore was 27.3mm. Guess Ducati didn't want to reject the flywheels. I've seen these oversize pins as replacement parts as well but very uncommon.

Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”