250 Strada chain adjustment

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Dave L

250 Strada chain adjustment

Postby Dave L » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Are there any tips for adjusting the drive chain on my strada.how can I turn the eccentric adjusters?do I turn them at the same time or one and then the other to get the required tension?Do I need a special tool that fits into the holes on the adjuster cam,I'm thinking I probably do.Anyway,fingers crossed s0meone can help,cheers

Jon Pegler

Re: 250 Strada chain adjustment

Postby Jon Pegler » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 pm

You need the adjusting tool that is used on the 860 and Darmah V-twins to tension the chain on a Strada or Forza.
To adjust,you must slacken the two 8mm bolts on either side of the frame, but only have to turn the pin inside the swinging arm spindle from one side. The whole spindle will turn on it's eccentric cam to tighten or slacken the chain.
Sometimes it can be very difficult to turn the spindle as the whole mechanism has become seized up with time and dirt.
It may be necessary to strip down the whole swinging arm mechanism and re-grease the swinging arm spindle and the aluminium cam blocks on either side of the frame, to get everything moving sweetly.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:17 am

As Jon, Dave. You can even adapt a old piece of gas pipe* - see photo attached; but best not try anything else ...

* I admit it's what I use all the time, despite having the proper gizmo :o

Saludos

Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave L

Postby Dave L » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks Craig,I made one from a 20mm steel pipe and it worked perfectly.Luckily I had taken the swing arm apart and rebuilt it with lots grease of so it was easy to adjust.cheers

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”