restoring a 1970 mark 3 desmo 350

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

flynbulldog

restoring a 1970 mark 3 desmo 350

Postby flynbulldog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm wondering if any of you have a 70 mark3 350 D that is 100% original? My bike has had a lot of changes and I'm trying to determine correctness of many parts and trying to locate the correct parts that I dont have.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Buster

Re: restoring a 1970 mark 3 desmo 350

Postby Buster » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Flynbulldog,
Where in the world are you?

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:19 pm

I have a spare rear guard and center stand in the UK.

flynbulldog

Postby flynbulldog » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Buster wrote:Hi Flynbulldog,
Where in the world are you?

Hi guys, I'm in North Carolina about an hour west of Raleigh.

flynbulldog

Postby flynbulldog » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Bevel bob wrote:I have a spare rear guard and center stand in the UK.

Hi Bob I think those parts are OK on my bike. Do you have a 70 350 desmo that you could post or email pics of?
The wheels on my bike are not correct so I'm wondering if these bikes came with steel chrome wheels or shouldered aluminum wheels and if so what brand? Also what hubs? My rear is a 7 fin hub which I thought were only on much earlier bikes and of course I have a few wheels laying around, some with 3,4 or 5 fin hubs...

What do the original petcocks look like? you see, I will have a bunch of detail questions and I'd like to find someone who would be willing to help me with details to do this right the first time instead of having some judge or "expert" at a show tell me what's wrong after I'm all done. :D

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:09 pm

No good asking me, I am clueless !!.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:32 pm

A few pointers from photos in Ian Falloon's "Singles" book:

flynbulldog wrote: What do the original petcocks look like?

The square sugar cube type - which normally means Orlandis.

flynbulldog wrote:The wheels on my bike are not correct, so I'm wondering if these bikes came with steel chrome wheels or shouldered aluminum wheels?

Steel chrome - so very possibly Radaellis. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum wheels (Borranis) didn't appear till later.

flynbulldog wrote:Also what hubs? My rear is a 7 fin hub which I thought were only on much earlier bikes and of course I have a few wheels laying around, some with 3,4 or 5 fin hubs

Can't see from the photos and the text is silent, I'm afraid. But I'd be surprised if they were any different to the rest of the range at the time.

HTH

Craig

my66m3

Postby my66m3 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I have a 70 350 Desmo that is waiting to be restored and it is original and pretty complete, I will try to look in the next few days and check on the things you asked. Good luck on the rebuild.

flynbulldog

Postby flynbulldog » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Ventodue wrote:A few pointers from photos in Ian Falloon's "Singles" book:

flynbulldog wrote: What do the original petcocks look like?

The square sugar cube type - which normally means Orlandis.

flynbulldog wrote:The wheels on my bike are not correct, so I'm wondering if these bikes came with steel chrome wheels or shouldered aluminum wheels?

Steel chrome - so very possibly Radaellis. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum wheels (Borranis) didn't appear till later.

flynbulldog wrote:Also what hubs? My rear is a 7 fin hub which I thought were only on much earlier bikes and of course I have a few wheels laying around, some with 3,4 or 5 fin hubs

Can't see from the photos and the text is silent, I'm afraid. But I'd be surprised if they were any different to the rest of the range at the time.

HTH

Craig

Ventodue, thanks for taking the time to try to answer but I'm afraid a post like yours is of no help. I'm looking for definitive answers not "pretty sure", "very possibly" or "I'd be surprised if" :?

If anyone has absolute knowledge and experience on this exact bike please chime in. otherwise leave it to the guys who do know for sure. :D

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Nice :o .

Sorry - I must have somehow misunderstood the plea in your first message, "Any help would be appreciated". I also point out that I gave you definite answers to two of your questions, answers that were based on period photos of new bikes taken at the time. But apparently such an ostensibly reliable source seems not to meet your expectations.

So please forgive me for having troubled you and enjoy your Christmas.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”