175 n/c oil fill level

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

175 n/c oil fill level

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:33 am

I'm just getting ready to start my 175 up - first time since I've owned it, and probably since 1995. What's the story with filling with oil? One book says 2.1 litres, another says 2.4 litres. Where should the level be on the filler plug?
Ian

Samurai

Re: 175 n/c oil fill level

Postby Samurai » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 am

I had the same dilemma, in the end I bought the filler neck extension and dip stick which significantly increases the amount of oil the sump can hold.

Without the extension I was hardly able to get in even a litre which was nothing like the quantity specified in the US translated manual, where the quantity is given in Kg! Took a bit of Googling convertion ratios and guesswork to determine that it was going to be well over that.

My notes tell me that it holds 1.675 ml from bone dry to the Maximum mark, I know because I drained it all out yesterday in order to fit an Electrex World generator and ignition system, but that's another story!

Good luck with starting it, I hope you fair better than I did!

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:48 pm

If you have the exstension tower I would just fill it up. Any overfill will find its way past the seal and lube the rear chain, The level will vary depending on stand condition and ground level. It used to be recommended that you looked in the clutch access and the oil needed to be a bit up the clutch. I am interested in the Electrex experience so do tell.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:45 pm

I don't have the filler extension and dipstick, but I did find some other threads on here. In the end I decided to put 1.75 litres in and see what happened. When I got to about 1.25 litres, it was about up to the top of the threads in the filler hole, so I leaned it over by putting a 1" bit of wood under the left side of the stand. Once I'd got the rest of the oil in it was about half-way up the threads, still leaned to the right. There seems to be conflicting advice, but on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1623&p=11895&hilit=oil+fill+level#p11895) Nigel says he puts 1.875 litres into a 250 race motor. Sounds good enough to me.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”