Case Damage from Chain

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

gregwils

Case Damage from Chain

Postby gregwils » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 pm

I recently picked up a project Monza 250. The engine case is damaged near the upper chain entrance, the entire shroud is missing. I am hoping to restore the bike to a reasonably high level and was curious if anyone is aware of any repair options. The bike is registered and the engine number is tied to the registration, so was hoping to avoid swapping cases if possible. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding potential repair? Is the repair even essential to avoid slinging oil over the engine? Any thoughts are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Jordan

Re: Case Damage from Chain

Postby Jordan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 pm

That's a neat break.
You'd get away with leaving it as is, as the chain guard partly covers it too.
Or maybe you could look for a damaged or orphaned crankcase half, from which you could cut the missing piece out, to be welded onto your prepared casting.

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:53 am

"you could look for a damaged or orphaned crankcase half, from which you could cut the missing piece out, to be welded onto your prepared casting"

Thanks. I had a similar thought, but wasn't sure if welding the shroud back on would be worse than as-is. I will probably look for the case half, sounds too tempting not to try.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

PhilR

Postby PhilR » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 pm

I have had a number of cases with this type of damage repaired. (how do people manage to do this in the first place??). anyway a good alloy welder will be able to fabricate and weld on a new shroud. with a bit of grinding and a polish you will never know. I would pop the gear selector cover off too and see if there is any further damage there. the classic is the clutch arm pivot point gets wiped out by the flailing chain. this is a bit more tricky but can also be weld repaired.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”