small DM stamping 1974 250 SCR/Road

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

mtsteve

small DM stamping 1974 250 SCR/Road

Postby mtsteve » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:21 am

Gentlemen, I've discovered this small hand stamping on top of the tranny case of my 1974 250 SCR/Road. Would welcome your comments. Thanks, Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nalimugmug

Re: small DM stamping 1974 250 SCR/Road

Postby nalimugmug » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 am

Is it possible that at sometime your engine was repaired by a David Matthews/Duncan Moore for example -ie: DM.

I sent an engine of mine to have some work done by a guy who returned it with his stamp on numerous parts of the engine-I wasn't impressed.

Just a thought.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 pm

DM or DM in a circle is simply an identifier to indicate a Ducati part. The DM stamp was used on lead seals such as the oil pump securing wire or the lead seal on one of the sump screws. Early Ducati replacement parts has a wire retained by a lead seal with the DM impression on it. Some parts had an “SSR” identifier. There are a number of early engines that had the DM logo stamped on the cases (see Phil Aynsley’s website. Example: http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/ ... 418&pos=12)
There are several examples of this stamp on other early bikes in the Aynsley archives.

Matt

mtsteve

Postby mtsteve » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Matt, thank you for that info. Of course this inquiry of mine is regarding the same bike that has been under discussion under "provenance" where I have attempted to define the origins of my 1974 250 SCR that looks like a Spanish built "Road". See "Provenance question" on the main discussion board. So, would it be safe to assume that this motor case originated as an Italian factory part and if so how does that complicate or resolve the origin issue of this bike. Many Thanks, Steve

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Considering the convoluted story of your Ducati thus far, all this latest development resolves is that someone stamped your engine case with a DM mark. It’s a curiosity. Is the engine case Italian or Spanish origin? This stamp doesn’t emphatically resolve that question. I have limited experience with Mototrans products. What I have observed is that every part manufactured in Spain is distinctly different from the Italian counterpart. You would have to compare your engine components with parts of known origin to decisively determine origin.

Matt

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am

double diamond wrote:What I have observed is that every part manufactured in Spain is distinctly different from the Italian counterpart. You would have to compare your engine components with parts of known origin to decisively determine origin.

Matt

Hi Steve

Have a look at this. It may help you determine whether your engine is Spanish or Italian. Or it may just confuse you even more .... :D

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”