250 strada front wheel

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Dave L

250 strada front wheel

Postby Dave L » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:20 am

I am having difficulty aligning the front wheel of my strada 250 to the forks.It has a drum brake on one side and speedo take off on the other.Can anyone supply a diagram showing shims and washer placement,please?Also,the speedo cable has broken at the gear end and looks as if it originally was attached to the helicoil gear at the factory.Does this means that I have to buy a new cable with new gear attached? If so,where from,cheers,Dave L

Jon Pegler

Re: 250 strada front wheel

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Dave,
The Strada wheel with a drum brake is the same as an Italian Ducati single, so has the same bearings and spacers etc..
Check that the wheel spindle fits easily between the fork legs without the wheel in place, and also that it fits through the hub/brakeplate/ speedo drive cover.
Sometimes things like the bearing spacer move out of line, or the aluminium of the brake plate gets burred over, making it difficult for the wheel spindle to slide through.
If the speedo cable has broken off inside the helical gear it's just a case of pulling it out, although you may have to hold the cable in a vice and pull the gear with a pair of grips to get the broken piece out.

jon

Dave L

Postby Dave L » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks Jon.Do you know the pitch/size for front wheel spindle/axle nut,it's not a standard metric (possibly bsf/af etc?)I can't find one anywhere and it is holding up the whole project

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 pm

The thread pitch, on a 250Mk3 or Monza, is 1.25mm, the thread dia. is 12mm, which is listed as a metric fine type.

cheers Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”