Provenance question (relayed from an email sent to Admin)

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Provenance question (relayed from an email sent to Admin)

Postby Ventodue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 am

mtsteve wrote:I am understanding then that the "type" approval means model type and that the homologation code is a certification by an authority.

Correct. Have a browse on Tinternet for more info.

mtsteve wrote:Could you please provide me some more context on that subject.

Not sure there's much more to add, really Steve ... ;). But just for interest sake's, here's a scan from Ian's book of the "1985" homologation certificate. Looking closely, I note that this is in fact the updated version - from 1964!

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:42 am

Your photos appear to show a bike of mainly Spanish origin.
The eccentric swinging arm chain adjuster is Spanish.
The forks are Spanish Telescos.
The hubs look like Spanish items as they appear to be using the narrow rib casting that Bologna abandoned after 1966.
So I would guess that you have a Spanish built Scrambler, probably sold via the Italian factory.

Your tag on the headstock is typical of machines that were sold in France in the mid-1970s.
The four holes on your gearchange cover would have had a similar style tag fixed to it.

The frame number welded to the frame near the rear engine mounts looks like a later addition to me, possibly a requirement by the DMV when it was first imported into the US. I've not seen anything quite like it before.

Jon

Ducadini

Postby Ducadini » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:25 am

The welded plate with framenumber is something that was done in France.
I have several 65-67 Ducati's with that sort of tab welded, sometimes OVER the Original numbers.
Indeed on the engine there would've been a aluminium plate riveted, also French rules.

ciao
ducadini

mtsteve

Postby mtsteve » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Gentlemen, thanks to all for your responses to my questions regarding provenance on my Ducati. I have a much better understanding of the origins and history of this little M/C and feel confidant in sharing it with others. Best regards, Steve

mtsteve

Postby mtsteve » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Gentlemen, a small detail has emerged while detailing my 1974 250 Duc. I sent a pic to Robert Miller and he has replied that he has not seen this before. It is a small hand stamping on the top of the case near the electrical outlet. See attached. Your comments please. Thank you , Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”