Finally it lives

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Blimp

Finally it lives

Postby Blimp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm

About 5 years ago I bought a wreck of an engine from a guy in Puyallup, Washington, USA. It was a 1965 250 Narrowcase Scrambler.

I shipped it to my companies' New York Office, where it sat under a desk for 6 months until my next work visit from the UK.

I stripped the head and barrel off in my hotel room to reduce the weight and then distributed the engine between my suitcases to get it home to the UK.

A long time later and after a lot of help from this forum and a lot of priceless advice from Nigel Lacey, it has now run for the first time in a long long time.

It has Sachse igntion with an Electrex Generator. The engine was stripped down to the last nut and bolt and everything replaced as necessary. The top end was in great shape but the bottom end needed more work. I've learnt a lot along the way and the next job is to prepare the bike/frame its going into, a 1965 Greeves.

Here's a video of it running (very briefly due to no silencer and close neighbours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIgVpqX-VsM

Thanks all.

Ryan

ranton_rambler

Re: Finally it lives

Postby ranton_rambler » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Great stuff. I'm almost ready to start mine up now. I've had it about a year, but the previous owner hadn't run it since he bought it in Italy in 1995, and who knows how long it was laid up before that. Original plan was to do the engine and put it back in the frame to try it before starting on the cycle parts, but the plan got de-railed a bit, so I might look at starting it on the bench. Just a couple of small items I'm waiting for so I can finish it off.
Ian

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”