Alternative Carb for 175 TS Narrow case?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Samurai

Alternative Carb for 175 TS Narrow case?

Postby Samurai » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 am

Hi Guys,

Well my restoration is nearing completion and the bike has passed it's MOT this week. That's the good news!

However, this first ride on the road showed that despite working methodically through all the carb settings, for what seems like forever, the bike displays conflicting symptoms, which also appear to vary somewhat day to day! I have a good spark and the timing appears to be fine.

So, after much troubleshooting, cussing and swearing, I'm puting it down to the fact that the Dellorto MB22B is just old and worn (slide and bore show signs) and I'm looking for a suitable modern replacement.

I've tried searching this forum in many ways for the answer and just seem to get threads relating to the larger capacity bikes of 250cc and above.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, I don't know if I could just fit a 24 or 26mm carb and jet down somewhat (these seem to be the most common sizes referred to), or if there are reasons why that isn't a viable option for the smaller bikes running 22mm carbs?

Many thanks for ANY advice you might be able to give. I'm so close to finishing, but this bike doesn't seem to want to finish with me!

ranton_rambler

Re: Alternative Carb for 175 TS Narrow case?

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:42 am

I haven't done it yet, as mine is not as far along as yours, but I am going to fit a brand-new Dellorto PHB 24 to my 175. My original carb has a damaged body so not possible to re-use. It was a TS but now has a higher compression piston, so more like a Sport specification (excluding unknown camshaft) therefore a 24mm should be about right. You can get them from Euro Carb for a reasonably sensible price and I think it will fit straight onto the inlet stub. Not sure what to do about the air cleaner yet.
A guy I spoke to at the last Stafford Show said I should get an Amal. These are also available new, and they may have a jet/needle setup in their database.
Ian

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi Ian, thanks for the info regarding the Dellorto carb.

I actually phoned Eurocarb up this week, but only got to speak to some young lad that didn't sound very sure about anything and said I should wait until 'Rob' got back from holiday in a couple of weeks!

Perhaps using the model you suggest would be a good move as I'd have to get some form of adapter made up for any other carb?

Any other suggestion are very welcome though, keep 'em coming!

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi,

I just bought a pair of OKO 30mm carbs for my 81 Bonneville, still to be fitted but they have a good reputation for single cylinder bikes, cheap also and with great support from the US side.
http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/OKO.html
I have no connection with the company but have been impressed with site info and great email advice.
As they say you have to buy the Taiwan made versions not the chinese made, all the info id on their site

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Interesting reading and I'd like to know how you get on with them. I've actually bought a Dellorto PHBL22AS since I posted this thread, as it seemed to give me the easiest fitting as it goes straight onto the existing manifold stub.

However, I'm now being inducted into the mystical, painstaking and downright expensive art of jetting it in - see my other thread.

Learning loads in the process though, probably more than I ever wanted to :lol:

I'll let you know how I get on!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”