Gray Cables?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

geodoc

Gray Cables?

Postby geodoc » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm re-bopping a Monza 160 into something that will be visually (sorta) like a TS175. I've seen a couple restored singles that had gray "ribbed" outer housing control cables and wonder if this was the style on older singles. I once did some work on an older Vespa that had this type cable and wonder if they are available for Ducati singles. Don't see them shown on any of the usual parts sources.

TNX

George
Vancouver BC

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Gray Cables?

Postby JimF » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:20 pm

I've never seen gray cables on a single, but I do use scooter cables when they fit.

Maybe check scooterworks in Chicago or other vintage Vespa parts sites.

Jim

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm

I've seen the grooved cable casing on early singles - that said, when they come up on ebay they seem to fetch high prices. Always black, though...never seen grey.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 pm

I've just been and dug out the cables that came with my "basket case" 175TS, which I think is from 1961. Clutch and front brake are pale grey, but smooth outers. Rear brake is black. Throttle appears to be absent.

geodoc

Postby geodoc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Poking around looking for "vintage vespa cables" I see that the housing like I'm thinking of is available, though apparently not nylon lined. That said, from what I can see googling and from here, I might not have the right recollection that I've seen gray ones. Probably better to opt for Flanders stuff with conventional black housing, nylon lined. works better.

http://www.flandersco.com/FlanCableSearch.html

This is probably what I was thinking of - the ribbing that is:

(taken at the 2002 Father's Day Italian Bike & Car show in N Vancouver)

The unit in process:

The painter did a really nice job on the tank. The owner bought an actual TS175 tank with stripes intact enough for to make a location template.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”