valve spring and big valve conversion and a few other ?'s

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

miken5678

valve spring and big valve conversion and a few other ?'s

Postby miken5678 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 pm

http://www.mez.co.uk/mezporting/index.html#

I noticed this website and some photos of his prior

http://www.mez.co.uk/mezporting/ducati250.jpg
http://www.rdvalvespring.com/vintage.html

Sadly he passed so the wealth of knowledge he had is gone however I am curious if anyone has gone this route or can recommend someone within the states to send off to for this conversion. I am at the point where I am ready to have some work done and possibly considering the valve spring conversion as well however again looking for someone who has gone through the process. Laceyeng has a valve spring conversion as well as megacycle and feel free to point me in another direction if there is a better recommendation out there.

Also a little off topic however I have noticed laceys rod as well as devduke utilizing a carillo rod. As I am in the market for a rod are there any other considerations out there?

also per the blueprint for power diagram on this website can anyone recommend a machineshop or person that has done the clutch basket mod? I have a drill press myself but do not fully trust myself on this.

Pete

Re: valve spring and big valve conversion and a few other ?'s

Postby Pete » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 am

You might want to contact Syd's Cycles in St. Petersburg, Fl. their number is 727-522-3333. I think they do all that sort of stuff.

Pete

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm

thanks, i just wasnt sure if anyone on the board or if anyone on the board knew of a racing group and had any insight into what to stay away from.

I have heard of sids just wished they had a website. One of these trips down south I will have to head over to the west coast and stop by the shop. In the mean time i went ahead and glass beaded a few pieces so looking for someone who can do the vapor blast for a softer finish and a great polisher to save me time on these silly hubs

just found this site as well..

http://www.desmopro.com/Home_Page.html

anybody heard of this place in addition to syds

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am

I've had real good service at Syd's, My 900 bevel at 4000miles jumped out of 1st gear often,so while they had it a part to re machine and replace defective trans gears, they bored my cylinders to 1mm over size, and installed 11 to one forged pistons.(884cc)
So now it's not only a lot faster, but it shifts smooth as silk.And their turn around time was week to 10 days, they make a lot of their speed parts in-house, and machine shop service also.

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Boretech did my head and cly work. Very professional and decent turnaround. http://www.bore-tech.com/

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:15 pm

" Boretech did my head and cly work. "

____ What-all kind of DUKEhead-work did you have them do for you?

____ I note the background (on that link-page) shows an engine cut-away of an old Velocette-motor, which is kinda neat, cuz ya can see that it was no doubt a Velocette-engine which must've been what Dr.T got his inspiration from, for his original OHC DUKE-engine!

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:30 pm

miken5678 wrote:
Also a little off topic however I have noticed laceys rod as well as devduke utilizing a carillo rod. As I am in the market for a rod are there any other considerations out there?

This weekend i run into Syds Tunstalls son Malcome at a racetrack in Germany . he showed me some rods he had made for
narrowcase singles . the rods where made by Falicon and are called knife rods
he sells these rods with a bigendpin and bearing .
the Carillo rods are a tad wider then the original ones so you have to machine the inside of the flywheel to make room for the Carillo rod . but then you have to rebalance the whole assy .
with the Falicon rods no machining is needed . he had these rods in a few racing engines for a couple of years with no problems . i bought a set of him and here are a couple of pictures

Eldert

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:46 am

eldert what is your opinion on this vs a laceys or a traditional h beam?

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm

miken5678 wrote:eldert what is your opinion on this vs a laceys or a traditional h beam?

i am putting a set in my own engine .
on the other hand i had bad experiences with Carrillo rods . the pressed in bearing race shrunk after a while and when i had
the engine apart to check things out the bigend was very tight with dead spots when turning around

i pressed the crank apart and honed the bigend eye lightly . pressed the crank together with a new bigendbearing
and everything was fine again .
i heard simular storys from other people using Carrillo rods

Saenz is making one piece rods for a while now . but i have no dealings whith then yet

the rods Nigel Lacey sells are made in the UK by Arrow precision . the race itself is hardened . no pressed in bearing race
witch i think is a better way to go

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”