Narrow case charging OK?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Narrow case charging OK?

Postby Bevel bob » Fri May 25, 2018 12:25 pm

I have some problems with my other 2 bikes not producing enough voltage to keep the battery fully up so thought I would check the 250 which has a basic12v conversion (unearthed stator and podronics type regulator). With a recently new and charged battery reading 12v with ignition and lights on ,the voltage rises to 13 + volts immediately on starting and steadies at that ,after a 20 sec of running and all turned off the batt has picked up a half a volt. Seems to me that charging is enough to at least cope with daylight running and probably a bit of night too. I have too many other problems to worry much about it at this time as its always got home .what do you think??.

double diamond

Re: Narrow case charging OK?

Postby double diamond » Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm

If it’s charging anything over 12v when running then your system is in equilibrium. As components of the system deteriorate, you may see the charge rate drop. Any charge rate above 12v is the cushion you get to compensate for this. I also notice on a hot day, the output of the system will drop slightly so the 12v+ compensates for this as well.

Matt

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Matt, One less to worry about, My Norton has blown its stator trying to keep up with a Fireblade, Silly boy!.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 am

For maximum inormation about lead acid batteries read here: http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”