chain drive sprocket play

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Medoro

chain drive sprocket play

Postby Medoro » Mon May 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Went in to replace the clutch cable on my NC and clean out like 40 years of crud in there.
Looking at things I noticed the nut and the sprocket have a slight amount of back and forth play.
Not in and out but, clock wise and ccw play. My instinct says this is wrong but I don't know.
It's a 66 Monza, I have no history on the bike. Still in process of getting it ready to fire up. (I hope)
Any ideas or help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Ventodue

Re: chain drive sprocket play

Postby Ventodue » Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 am

Sounds like wear in the splines, Mike. Shouldn't be there. Take the sprocket off, and have a close look at the splining on the shaft.

Hopefully, however, the wear will be on the sprocket. If so, best change it.

If it's on the shaft, there are fixes ...

HTH

Craig

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 am

Normal backlash in the box?.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

The lock tab washer underneath the nut is made of relatively soft material. After years of use, the washer gets squeezed between the harder nut and washer and loses thickness. Eventually, the nut is loose on the threads, only held in place by the bent-over tab on the lock tab washer. Ducati uses these lock tab washers throughout the engine and any of these nuts are prone to loosening, especially the clutch hub nut. All these nuts should be tight. I’ve taken to replacing the lock tab washers with Belleville washers which will not loosen.

Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”