Indicators on a Mach1

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jordan

Re: Indicators on a Mach1

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 am

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 am

I thought the Turbo Visor was a vast improvement on goggles and gave really clear vision in heavy rain at speeds up to 80 mph ,not terribly good in town .

StewartD

Postby StewartD » Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 am

DSCF4627.jpg
DSCF4623.jpg
P1080801 (1).jpg
P1080802 (1).jpg

I am too worried about modern traffic conditions to go without indicators. Without indicators and driving on left side of road, (in Oz), means letting go of the throttle to do a legal right turn hand signal. On the Mach 1, not the most docile easy idling machine, this risks a stalled motor in the middle of the intersection if opposing traffic forces a stop.

The indicator lights I bought at a Harley shop are small and do not look too out of place on the Mach 1.

I had to turn a bit of 16 or 17 mm hexagon bar up for the front indicators. The hex bar has a male M8 thread at one end, then a small length of the hexagon, then turned down to match the indicator stem diameter of about 14mm. It is drilled through to about 5mm from memory. It cannot be much bigger or the M8 thread will be turned into a helix. Anyway, just big enough for the wire and a bullet connector. At the indicator end it is drilled to 10mm diameter 20mm deep. This is for the indicator spigot.

The indicators came with M10 studs which can be unscrewed. I made a M10 stud/10 diameter spigot piece with a 5mm diameter hole right through. This was screwed into the indicator body and loctited.

Since the hex bar screws into the headlight M8 thread the indicators must be able to rotate relative to the hex bar. This is the reason for the 10 diameter hole in the hex bar and the 10 mm diameter spigot piece. When the headlight is secured with the hex bars, then the indicators can be rotated to correct orientation. The hex bar has a couple of M3 tapped holes within the 20mm length of the 10 diameter drilling. This allows grub screws to clamp the indicator to the bar.

The rear indicators were a bit simpler but sill had the M10 stud/10 diameter spigot pieces with grub screw fastening into a tube. The tube had 2 cleats welded to it, the cleats each had a6 diameter hole. The holes in cleats were spaced at the same distance as the number plate holes and so the assembly was bolted to the number plate bracket with M5 screws.

This was all a bit complicated but I didn't want exposed threads and wires to spoil the simple lines of the Mach 1.

Cheers,

Stewart D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue May 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Very neat Stewart, what did you do for a switch?.

StewartD

Postby StewartD » Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks Bob,

Indicator switch used was similar CEV or Aprilia pattern to the dip/horn switch shown. I mounted it just under the dip switch and is not visible in photo. This is what my disc brake 450 had. Not sure if it came from the factory like that though.

Cheers,

Stewart D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”