First Ducati

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Eldert

Re: First Ducati

Postby Eldert » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 am

Ventodue wrote:
Eldert wrote: i have a 450 engine with engine nr 460754 and it still has the narrower bolt spacing .

Eldert wrote: i checked a few 450 cases i had laying around and i have a case with number 460754 and it had the wider spacing.

Eh? What? Which? :D

typo , should read 460569 allready has the wider bolt spacing and the later 460754 has the narrow bolt spacing .

Eldert

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:09 pm

What was on the shelf at the time got stamped?
What parts they had were used

Roberto

Postby Roberto » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 am

Graeme,
That makes sense to me.
graeme wrote:What was on the shelf at the time got stamped?
What parts they had were used

I don't know the history of Ducati, but at that time, early mid 70s, I believe that Triumph was struggling to compete in U.S. with Yamaha etc, and there was probably a lot of parts grabbing off the self going on.
Roberto

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Roberto wrote: I don't know the history of Ducati, but at that time, early mid 70s ...

It wasn't a particularly happy time in Bologna. Things started well, with the widely publicized success at Imola in 1972 and the sales increase that followed - 1973 was the peak year for 750 production/sales. The factory was expanded in late 1972-73, and this caused some interruption in production of the singles (it may well have contributed to the decision to switch the production of all the components for the 250 Scramblers and the engines for the 350s to Mototrans in Spain).

Then in 1973, the company got a new Director, Christiano De Eccher. De Eccher wasn't a motorbike enthusiast like his predecessors, Arnaldo Milvio and Fredmano Spairani. He also had a clear mandate from the state company who owned Ducati (EFIM) to increase production and reduce costs in order to make the company profitable. One of his first acts was to stop Ducati's participation in racing. Building the singles was an expensive business so, with sales declining in the US,THE critical market for Ducati, it was decided to axe both them and the round-case 750, also considered too expensive to build. In October 1973, De Eccher announced that the low cc singles were to be replaced by the so-called Parallel Twins and the 750s by the cheaper-to-build and re-styled square-case twins, notably the 860GT.

History has proved that both decisions were catastrophically wrong and almost finished the company off. If it hadn't been for Ign Taglioni's insistence on continuing to work on the development of the belt-drive Pantah engines; and the artistic genius of Leopoldo Tartarini, it would have been.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Ventodue wrote:artistic genius of Leopoldo Tartarini,

About 10 yrs ago I went an art museum in Atlanta, the exhibit was Art of the Motorcycle , every room had Ducati bikes from all periods. When I get time to hunt them down, I'll post some photos.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”