Race Brake Lining

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

double diamond

Race Brake Lining

Postby double diamond » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:07 pm

I’d like to have a TLS front brake relined with race specification friction material. Nearly all providers in the USA cater to the automotive/truck market. There is one source but long lead times and very costly. I would do it myself so I inquired with Ferodo Racing in Italy about the availability of lining material. Their response was “we only sell complete brake shoe sets”. These appear to be street specification friction material. It seems the old Ferodo AM4 lining material is no longer available (and not a great option in any case).

What are the resources in the UK or on the Continent for installing race specification friction material? I came across Industrial Brake (Wolverhampton) in the UK. Any others? What friction material is being used these days?

Matt

Eldert

Re: Race Brake Lining

Postby Eldert » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Matt

i presume you know Michel Morse of Vintage brake . i think he uses Ferodo 2520 V friction material .

i have some AM4 laying around for the big 230 mm drum but it to agressive for Grimeca drums
it grooves the steel liner .

Eldert

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Matt

As Eldert said AM4 linings damage Grimeca drums and in my experience 70's Japanese road drums as well. AM4 like may old linings are no longer available as they contain Asbestos.

Most racers in the UK either use Classic brake services or Dick Hunt for there brake relining work. Link for Classic brake services below.

http://classicbrakeservices.vpweb.co.uk/

Nigel

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi Eldert,

Yes, spoke with Michael Morse, very highly regarded in the field. Would be several months before Vintage Brake perform the work. Vintage Brake lists a number of linings to choose from but do not positively identify as Ferodo product. Is 2520V Ferodo product? I was lead to believe that Ferodo does not sell just the friction material, only finished product.

This is for a Honda 200mm TLS brake, supposed to be one of the better choices. I also have a 180mm Aermacchi front brake which I am considering using. Seems to be lighter than the Japanese brakes and good design but I've not heard of anyone using them as a race brake.

Matt

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am

the 2520V is Ferodo indeed .

we used Ferodo MZ41 to . also good race lining . there should be some old stock floating around . has asbestos in it .

Dick Hunt uses the 2520V to on his replica drums .

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”