Mototrans VIN

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Mototrans VIN

Postby Ventodue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks, Jon and Hans. Great stuff. Never knew it was so complicated ! Lots of little differences between the various models and years when you start to look ...

250s.jpg

Reckon you won't find many of those outside Spain, Jeb - or inside Spain for that matter ;) . What you gonna do with it?

Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 am

Thankyou all for these very helpful replies. It really helps to find what it looked like when new.
It has 27mm Amal carb which as you state Jon would probably make it a 250 Road model, and as you say they used some parts rfom the DeLuxe model on later builds which would explain the shrouded forks and DeLuxe rear number plate mount.
Interestingly you say the Spanish reg is 1972 Valencia but the date stamp on forks and speedo housing are both 1973.
When I brought it I was told it was four speed and had recently had a new piston fitted. It appeared the crankcase had recently been apart by the new gaskets etc, but there was a problem selecting the gears, the box had a mind of it's own.
Upon stripping the engine it was found that the gearbox had been assembled incorrectly and was missing shims and correct spacers etc, but was in fact a five speed.
I have had it rebored as was not happy with the wear ( don't know why it had been fitted with a new piston and not rebored before )
Everything has now been correctly shimmed and engine now all built. Frame has been powder coated and I am now putting it all together. I will post some pictures of it as it is now if you are interested.

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 am

My mistake, the J suffix to your Spanish registration does indicate a 1974 registration.
I have edited my previous post accordingly.
However, your machine is a 250 De Luxe, not a Road.
All the Roads and De Luxe bikes had the Spanish Amal Concentric carburettors by the late 1960s.
Also, all the Spanish bikes produced after 1967, with the exception of the 160 models were 5-speed.

Jeb, how does your tank fix onto the frame? Does it have two bolts on the headstock, or two prongs underneath the tank?
Also, do you have a seperate speedo drive gearbox on the front wheel, or are the gears inside the hub like most Italian machines? It looks like the seperate gearbox in your photos.

Jon

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Jon Pegler wrote:<snip> However, your machine is a 250 De Luxe, not a Road <snip>

Agree. Compare, for example, Jeb:

The front mudguard. Valanced on the De Luxe, not on the Road. Yours is valanced.
The rear light: Little unit on the De Luxe, big unit on the Road. Yours is small.
Tank decoration: Chrome/silver side panel runs down gently towards the seat on the De Luxe, dips down more sharply on the Road. Also, Ducati badge on the De Luxe, Ducati decal on the Road. Your tank is decorated as the De Luxe.
Bars: Ape-hangers/chopper style on the De Luxe, simple high bars on the Road. Yours are verging on Harley Davidson ...

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 am

Tank is retained by two pins at front underside and speedo drive is a seperate unit from the hub. Didn't have a speedo cable when I brought it but the drive and speedo ( VDO ) both work well .
Started the engine for the first time since rebuild yesterday.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”