CEV 9241 tail light connectors

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

CEV 9241 tail light connectors

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:55 pm

I bought a 9241 light to use with the R/T rubber mount. The light does not have wires off it. Instead it has a spot on the back for 3 bullet connectors to plug in.

Anyone have any idea what size those connectors are and where to get them?
1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Re: CEV 9241 tail light connectors

Postby JimF » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm

I may have a bullet connector that will work. I bought something that was sold by an automotive electrical restoration supplier as a European 3mm bullet connector (if I recall correctly) back when I was making wiring looms.

Does the bullet opening appear to be about 3mm (0.118") in diameter?

Prior to having bought actual bullets I used to take a common Ace Hardware (or most any hardware store) "Butt Splice" connector and I would just cut the insulating sleeve off the metal barrel of the splice.

This is what the butt splice looks like after you peel the insulation off:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/ ... ce_big.jpg

The darn thing was for a good old USA standard AWG gauge wire and was also almost a perfect 3mm in diameter. I can't recall what gauge wire the butt splice was for, but it is a very common size. Rather than crimp the butt splice onto the wire like it was made for (because that would deform the barrel) I would solder the wire into the butt splice since it was never going to be crimped. The 3mm OD of the butt splice fit perfectly into things like those terminal blocks in the old Ducati headlight buckets.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

Jim

Teckhardt

Re: CEV 9241 tail light connectors

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Good tip - I am gonna take a butt connector and see if that is the right size.
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”