Tach drive spring (roll) pin removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kaysystems

Tach drive spring (roll) pin removal

Postby kaysystems » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi

How am I supposed to remove the spring pin that holds the angle drive into the housing?

It is difficult to get anything to squeeze it, and because of the location of the split I can't get it to move.

Thanks

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

Jordan

Re: Tach drive spring (roll) pin removal

Postby Jordan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 pm

I've seen some ugly results from hasty attempts to remove the roll pin.
There are two methods I know of.

1. Put a metal pin (nail, rod) in the centre of the roll pin. Grip the roll pin in a stout vice and heat the aluminium alloy housing. Use levers (one each side, used together) to pull the housing off the gripped roll pin.
Without the inserted pin, the roll pin will collapse and not be able to be gripped.

2. More drastic: Drill the alloy from within the housing, directly below the roll pin. Heat, and punch out the roll pin.
The hole will need to be plugged to keep oil in afterwards.

kaysystems

Postby kaysystems » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks. I'll try the heat method first\

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:02 am

Hi,

Supporting the pin in the middle and using mole grips (as suggested) should work especially with the aid of heat. Also using a slide hammer and modifying and attaching a set of mole grips to the end works a treat.

In the case of broken or bodged pins they can be removed by building up weld to the pin with a Tig set and either using the grips or attaching a screw via weld and then using a slide hammer. I've used this method to remove various roll pins broken flush with the surface without any damage to the casing. Spark eroding is also an option. Obviously this will be outside the remit of many, but it can be done. To my mind if you can't remove it without resorting to drilling and damaging the casing best find someone who can. I've seen many heads and cases ruined (in my opinion) by people drilling holes and filling them with epoxy.

Best Wishes Nigel

kaysystems

Postby kaysystems » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks for all you help guys

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”