Best wayto check the oils flowing?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Best wayto check the oils flowing?

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:25 am

After my rebuild I left out the middle banjo bolt on the cam tower and waited to see the oil returning, It took about 20 seconds,can't think of a better way to check without fitting plastic pipes or gear gazer which change looks too much.Its a bit messy though and doing it regularly is likely to wear the threads. how about a banjo bolt with window in it?.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Best wayto check the oils flowing?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:16 am

" how about a banjo bolt with window in it?. "

____ The BEST way is what's quickest for the oil-pump, (as opposed to what's easiest for the owner). _ So I've always loosened one & removed the remaining two screws which hold the bevel-cover, and swing it aside so as to be able to watch when the oil starts to flow out of the hole in the end of the camshaft. _ Takes about 15-sec. after an oil-change.
__ Such windows are hard to see through once they've been coated with dirty-oil,
So (for looks sake) I'd prefer drilling & tapping the lower banjo-bolt's head to accept a 6mm plug-screw, although a more logical point would be in the center of the camshaft's bearing-support/cover (where the oil is fed to the left-end of the camshaft).
In either case, the plug's shaft wound need to be no longer than about 7mm.
(Many Jap-motors use just such a plug as standard-practice!)

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”