checking engine oil pressure

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jordan

Re: checking engine oil pressure

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 pm

When I encountered a camshaft that was not plugged, I found it handy to remove the left side bearing housing by tapping a rod passed through the hole.
But the last time I had to remove a housing, it was very stubborn and the hole was plugged so it didn't go as nicely as I would have liked.
Now I'm wondering. If I could punch out the steel plug, then replace it with an aluminium one, that could be a good last resort to allow me to use the rod method? The plug could be drilled out and replaced afterwards.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:54 am

I always remove the left hand camshaft bearing housing by removing the camshaft nut and then using the cam itself as a drift for a couple of millimeters of travel to dislodge the left side cover, so the slug in the oil way of the cam (for me) is not a problem, I never had great results using the rod through the cam method.
Cheers,
George

Buster

Postby Buster » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:34 am

Does the rev counter drive connection restrict the flow to the bevels?

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 am

Good tip, thanks.

blethermaskite wrote:I always remove the left hand camshaft bearing housing by removing the camshaft nut and then using the cam itself as a drift for a couple of millimeters of travel to dislodge the left side cover,
George

folknride

Postby folknride » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:41 pm

I’m working on a 66 Monza as well. The intake rocker was worn (now out for repair) so I suspect it was low on oil in the cam/rocker area.
Can anyone give me a procedure or so pictures link of this restriction mod so I can do it?
Thanks in advance.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Typically, the cam has a roll pin inserted in the threaded end of the cam to restrict oil. Your local hardware store hopefully has appropriate sized pins that work. If you want to completely block the oil passage to the threaded end of the cam (so all the oil is directed to the rocker arms), press an aluminum pin in the end of the cam. You can also drill a hole in the aluminum pin to restrict oil flow more than the roll pin method.

Matt

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 pm

This is a bearing housing I made with an oil seal running on the end of shaft, too get 100% of the oil into the centre. The feed pipe will run direct from the main gallery at the pump, and not through the torturous path, and finally through a very hot cylinder head, as in the standard set up. I am still building the engine, so no feed back at the moment. I will make the banjo bolt at the input flange of the housing with the same bore size as the dowel at the head joint, so as not to starve the crankshaft. I don't know if this is normal practice to have a restriction when fitting an external supply ? I will also restrict the outlet bore at the drive end of the shaft.
The seal will be retained with the circlip when assembled.

Brian

P1070190.JPG

P1070191.JPG

P1070193.JPG

P1040582.JPG

P1070189.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

thebossdj

Postby thebossdj » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:07 am

Hello everyone.

Just replacing a cam in a resto. Read this article. What size roller pin do you use and any install tips are very welcomed please

B

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:20 am

Hi B,

What is a roller pin, and where does it go?
First consult the factory parts lists, that usually have good descriptions including dimensions.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Jordan wrote:What is a roller pin ... <snip>

I'm guessing he meant 'roll pin', Jordan - aka, 'spring pin' to you Septics :-). Or 'tension pin' as Nigel calls 'em ... ;)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”