checking engine oil pressure

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Buster

Re: checking engine oil pressure

Postby Buster » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Am I right in thinking that, if a rev counter is fitted it acts in the same way. The flat of the drive covers the hole but allows some oil thru?

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Ventodue wrote:
Jordan wrote:What is a roller pin ... <snip>

I'm guessing he meant 'roll pin', Jordan - aka, 'spring pin' to you Septics :-). Or 'tension pin' as Nigel calls 'em ... ;)

Ducati's term is "spina elastica spaccata" which translates as "split elastic spine" according to Google. Nicely descriptive.
In the English column of the parts book it's called a "drift", not so good.

Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:14 am

My interest in this thread comes from trying to solve an oil leak at the O-ring barrel to head joint. The diameter of the oilway through the O-ring spigot is 3mm - a c.s.a of 0.7mm².
That is exceeded by the 4 oilways through the lobes which, should they sum to the same area, would be only 0.75mm in diameter.
As the pump is a constant volume type, the pressure in the cam can be increased by restricting the flow out of the cam end. This is the pressure experienced by the O-ring.
I wanted to observe the oil flow to see what is going where with the engine running so made up a viewing window to replace the bevel cover. I assumed most oil entered the chimney via the external oil lines. What did occur was the bevel chest soon filled with oil via the two holes between it and the cam chamber. It was the same with or without the cam end fitted with a blank although faster to fill without the blank. Either way, the cam is running in an oil bath as is the bevel.
Without the blank, there was no leak at the oil seal. Mr Lacey uses a restriction (as posted early on this thread) of "around 2mm". I will give that a try.
20240217_150933.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”