Scrambler VDO Speedo cable replacement.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

hoylie

Scrambler VDO Speedo cable replacement.

Postby hoylie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 am

Hey Everyone

I have a new speedo cable to fit to my 250 Mototrans Scrambler. It has a VDO unit on there but I can see how I remove the old cable. I did a bit of searching on the web and the closest info I found was that you hold the brass threaded section on a vice an strike the unit its self away from the cable to remove it. Does that sound right? Has anyone done this? If this is the way to do it is it worth heating it up first? Knowing how scarce parts are and expensive I don't want to cause any damage if I can help it.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

ducwiz

Re: Scrambler VDO Speedo cable replacement.

Postby ducwiz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi,

first of all - you should have actually chosen the Mototrans section of this forum for your question. Second - one or more photos would make an answer much more easy.

cheers Hans (from Germany, where VDO speedos had been manufactured)

hoylie

Postby hoylie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks Hans, you can no longer post in the Mototrans section anymore! I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Martyn

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

The speedo cable on a Spanish VDO instrument should come off the same as any other Ducati single cable.
Undo the knurled nut and pull the cable away.
If your cable is slightly rusted inside the clock itself, it may need a sharp tug to remove it.
I'm fairly sure the VDO clocks fitted to the Mototrans bikes were all made in Spain, under license from VDO in Germany.

Jon

hoylie

Postby hoylie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Hey Jon

Thanks for the response. My mistake I probably didn't make it clear in my first post. Its the drive unit at the hub I am trying to get the cable out of. Please see the pictures.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 pm

The cable should just pull out of the speedo drive gearbox.
Give it a sharp tug, but support the threaded brass end of the gearbox as they are just crimped into the body.
Those VDO gearboxes are getting quite hard to find now, in reasonable condition.

Jon

hoylie

Postby hoylie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Hey Jon

Thats what I thought but I started to think that the brass piece needed to come out first. Are you saying that the cable is just pushed in from the outside?

Thanks

Martyn

hoylie

Postby hoylie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 am

Done it! Cheers Jon

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”