New to the forum and vintage Ducatis

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

folknride

New to the forum and vintage Ducatis

Postby folknride » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:26 am

I've bought (but don't have in hand just yet) a 1966 Monza 250.
It's in pretty good shape considering it'e been sitting for 30+ years - but in a shop. Has good compression and is pretty well complete.
I'll probably ask a bunch of dumb questions, as this is my first Ducati.
I'm not going for a concourse style restore - just a great looking vintage bike that runs well and is fun to ride.
Though I reside in Alberta, Canada, I'm in the US for three months and hope to buy a few things here to reduce shipping expense
Three things on my mind right now - a manual, handlebars, and a carb.
For bars, I want something lower and narrower, but not full on cafe style - something like my BMW RS90 bars, but don't know whether to buy 22mm or 7/8 diameter?
It has an Amal carb on it with no choke, I hear the Dellortos gave trouble. From what I've read so far, Mikuni seems like the best replacement, but which model?
I'm sure there will be lots more cries for help - thanks for letting me join.

JimF
Site Admin

Re: New to the forum and vintage Ducatis

Postby JimF » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know that DellOrtos are as troublesome as their reputation would lead you to believe, I've only found the SSI29 to be temperamental and a bit crude insomuch as the amount of adjustments you can make to it are few. Perhaps my slide or the carb body are too badly worn to get satisfactory results.

I did buy a Ducati bitsa 250 that came to me with a Mikuni, and after working through the jetting I found it to be a decent and well-behaved carb.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2499&p=18645&hilit=mikuni#p18645

Something like "z-bars' can give you a clip-on look without the expense.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/231430558 ... -l1000.jpg

Unfortunately at the moment I can't tell you what the standard diameter of the Ducati singles handlebars is. My Mach 1 has clip-ons and the bitsa 250 has an aftermarket fork and I put clip-ons on it years ago. I am not sure what I did with the handlebars, but being as the fork is aftermarket, the handlebars may not have been the right diameter for Ducati fork clamps.

Jim

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:49 am

I also have a Monza which I added an AMAL Mk 1 Concentric carb to. I also added a Powerdyamo ignition and it runs great.
The bike came with Ace bars which look good and are probably the only part of the bike that aren't original. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

HMBAtrail

Postby HMBAtrail » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Aren’t 7/8” and 22.2mm bars the same thing? I always assumed bars came in 7/8” and 1” (for Harley and some Triumph and the like)

folknride

Postby folknride » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

7/8 bars are .2mm fatter than 22mm. Found this out the hard way doing my BMW /5 - bought some Brit size bars and the controls, throttle tube etc. wouldn’t fit.

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi folknride,
My aftermarket 7/8 bars fit everything Ducati I have just fine.
Enjoy your new project...

Bruce

folknride

Postby folknride » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

ecurbruce wrote:Hi folknride,
My aftermarket 7/8 bars fit everything Ducati I have just fine.
Enjoy your new project...

Bruce

Thank you!

folknride

Postby folknride » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

halfpast wrote:I also have a Monza which I added an AMAL Mk 1 Concentric carb to. I also added a Powerdyamo ignition and it runs great.
The bike came with Ace bars which look good and are probably the only part of the bike that aren't original. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Nice!

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm

My 175 has some old Tomaselli Cross bars on, which measure up as 7/8". Held to the top yoke by some little U-bolts, so I don't think the 0.2mm would matter there. I can see your point about the throttle tube though.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:57 pm

I run Dellorto VHB carbs on my 2 Guzzis and find them pretty easy to get on with. The little 175 came with an MB22 but it's beyond saving so will be replaced by a PHBL24. These can be bought new for sensible money, or at least they can here in UK.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”