Fork strip

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Fork strip

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

I have stripped the 31.5 forks of my 67 Narrowcase and its clear that the cowboys got there first. No internal small spring and loose balls from the damper 7 out of 9. The assembly looks different to the Clymer book so I'm a bit in the dark. Is there a decent exploded picture of whats supposed to be there?.

ducwiz

Re: Fork strip

Postby ducwiz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Our dear forum master keeps copies of an article about that topic on the tech page: http://www.motoscrubs.com/Duc_Technical.htm
Scroll down to the end and find the links. They might help you.
However, the n/c fork and it's components must be listed in the parts catalog.

cheers Hans

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks mate, sadly there is no detailed info on the damper assembly in there.

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:10 am

Hi Bob,
Do you have access to a Ducati shop manual?
There's a breakdown on page 94, illustration#107.
I don't have a way to upload a copy of it for you at this time but maybe someone else???

Bruce

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:28 am

Hi Bob,

I will set you up with access to a Dropbox where you can download the manual from.

Jim

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks Guys, Now I have most of the parts its just a matter of understanding how the thing works so I can repair and assemble in the correct relationship. I think the valve is in upside down and there is no way of keeping the balls in place. No wonder my poor old joints protested at 90mph over the bumps at the IOM. The only damping I was getting was from the SAE 40 oil I put in.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 am

ecurbruce wrote:Hi Bob,
Do you have access to a Ducati shop manual?
There's a breakdown on page 94, illustration#107.
I don't have a way to upload a copy of it for you at this time but maybe someone else???

Bruce

And on page 95 the fitting procedure of the valve mechanism is described.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 pm

None of the books I have seen actually show the valve clearly or describe how the ball bearings work , Some just say they don't give any trouble or advise to leave well alone!. I think the housing is staked on one side ,and the balls free on the other side ,held in by a (missing)washer which does not appear to have anything securing it, unless the(missing) spring does. I think mine is in upside down anyway. If it was really simple how come the well established bike shop who re-built it got it all so wrong?.Along with everything else they played with!.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Bob

There were a few different valve designs.
One type has a few of the holes blocked off by staked in balls. If you see deformed metal at a few of the openings you have this type. it’s common for those balls to come loose in this type. Another type has less openings, where those staked in balls would be there is no hole at all. The last type has loose balls and all openings drilled.

The valve is held in the bottom of the fork tube by a snap-ring. There is a washer on top of the valve that holds the balls in place.

I can take a picture of the assembly later today if you need but here are a couple pictures that show the parts.

Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Aaron,

that is what all those who haven't seen that stuff yet (myself included) had been waiting for !

Thanks a lot Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”