Fork strip

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Re: Fork strip

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Thank you Aaron, thats helpfull, There appears to be a plain washer above the spring , I presume there is also one holding the balls in?. The washer above the spring is not listed? ,may be an attempt to increase the damping on rebound?.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Bob

I just checked my garage, unfortunately my fork parts are at my dads. I use his basement to do work in the winter. I was going to take a picture of the assembly.

I got those pictures online. It’s been a few years since I worked on a set of those forks. I don’t remember a washer above the spring, like it appears in the picture, I don’t think there is supposed to be. There is a washer above the valve that holds the balls in place. Like the picture of the valve parts shows.

What style valve do you have?
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Mine appears to be the same as the one which is 3rd from the right in Aarons photo. The balls are 0.156 dia or 5/32" . I suspect the extra 2 washers above the spring in the photo is to restrict the action of the valve or to compensate for a tired spring?. After assembly I am assuming the spring presses against the std washer that retains the balls from above ,otherwise the balls will not be retained as there is no circlip at this point?.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 am

Bob

It sounds like you are not quite following some of the things I said. I want to be sure you understand how your forks are supposed to go together.

First, don’t get hung up on the washer above the spring, like I said I grabbed that picture off of a website.
I don’t think it is supposed to be there and if it was it wouldn’t do anything.

Second, there are 3 types of damper valves that I know of. You need to make sure yours are not the staked in type like I described before. If they are you need to repair them. The pictures of valves I posted are all the same type. There is no comparison that can be made in the pictures.

Third, there is a washer that sits on top of the valve. The washer keeps the balls in place.

Fourth, the damper valve (with balls) and the washer sitting on top are installed into the bottom of the fork tube. There is a shoulder inside the tube that acts as a stop for those parts (The valve assembly) Once the valve assemble is installed in the tube there is a snap ring that goes in the groove at the inside bottom of the tube that holds it in place. Once the valve assembly is installed it is locked in place and does not move, it cannot move and the balls can only move up and down between their seats and the washer.

Hope that makes sense, like I said it’s been a few years since I worked on them.

Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks Aaron, I did understand but thought that if I kept asking questions then perhaps we could nail this one for good as its been neglected and seems to be a common problem. I'm sure my valve is either damaged or fitted upside down as the balls can be entered into the housing from the bottom.The pictured valve is notated as NOS but is secondhand as it is marked from use, so the extra one or possibly two washers above the spring may be missleading. I don't mind asking questions that sound stupid,this stems from a time 60 years ago when I was the only one with his hand in the air and schoolmates moaned about me always wanting clarity.Guess who was the only boy in 2000 who got a Full schools certificate!.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Got the valves out ,they are battered to bits ,washer at wrong end so no way to retain the balls the way it was assembled.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:22 pm

one of the pictures Aaron posted was from a aftermarked assy sold by Guzzino

http://www.guzzino.com/dufodavaki31.html

Eldert

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Classic Ducati are showing these for £45 which sounds a better deal . cheap post cost and no customs charges.

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Bob, When you are next up near Diss, give me a shout. The previous posts seem to have come up with the answers, as I have a set apart, I thought the pictures might add a bit more info. The items are as removed, Thinking out loud , if the valve was fitted the wrong way round, I think it would possibly make contact with the part 0460.37.528 LH Thread Plug at fork full travel.
The original circlip is a round section wire type, The Guzzino kit show a normal circlip with ears, I wonder if this type of clip would impinge on the threaded plug at full travel.
Brian.
PS I will start another post re date markings as I can't upload any more pictures.

[url][/url]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DBDBrian on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Made in England

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 pm

I have striped out three sets in total, and will use the best parts to assemble a good set for my 200SS. I was given to understand the numbers on the anchor boss indicated the year of manufacture, can anyone decipher these, as only 64 would seem to confirm this.
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”