Ross Thompson Retired

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

amartina75

Ross Thompson Retired

Postby amartina75 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Just found out Ross Thompson retired from doing gas tank repair. I had my mk3 coffin tank restored by him and I know Jim had a tank restored by him as well. He did excellent work as was highly regarded. His skills we definitely be missed in the vintage bike community.

CF250CD9-1E50-474D-8C55-041AE913F2B6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Ross Thompson Retired

Postby JimF » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Ross will be missed. I found out he would be retiring at the end of 2017 about 9 moths ago. I would have announced it but he was taking on no new work, just cleaning off his plate, so it was already too late to try and get something in to him

Long ago I had bought a Mach 1 tank that looked good, but the first time I put fuel in it weeped at a forward seam. I sent it to Ross.

When Ross would send you your tank back it would arrive as bare metal. No paint, no primer, and the reason he did this was so you would know there was no putty (bondo) anywhere in the tank.

Ross could take out dents and restore crushed tanks, 100% in metal. The contours, no matter how complex, we're perfectly executed.

With my tank Ross shipped back the piece of the tank that had the leak. When I held it to the light it was like looking at a starry night... dozens of tiny pinholes were revealed when he took the paint off.

When I held the bad metal piece next to the tank I knew exactly the spot where the perforated piece came out, but the tank's steel surface offered no visual evidence of a repair whatsoever. No discoloration, no ridges, no evidence marks. It was incredible.

I will miss having Ross' skill at my disposal, particularly the next time I dent a tank.

Jim

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Another craftsman gone.......

Sad to hear but good on him or taking time for himself

Graeme

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:39 am

IMG_00000018.jpg

IMG_00000016.jpg

Ross Thompon's amazing work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”