What Is This SSI Jet Holder For? - Mystery Solved

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Vintmoto

What Is This SSI Jet Holder For? - Mystery Solved

Postby Vintmoto » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Has anyone seen one of these before? It has a 115 jet in the bottom according to the markings. It has a spring-loaded piece that fits up inside. I am curious if it was an aftermarket go faster bit or for alcohol possibly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vintmoto on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ducwiz

Re: What Is This SSI Jet Holder For?

Postby ducwiz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:47 pm

As you can see here http://www.thisoldtractor.com/dellorto_parts_diagram_for__ssi_carburetors.html, this is not only a jet holder but also an acceleration pump, together with it's screw cap. Indeed there is a spring loaded piston and ball inside. The latter acts as a check valve, in turn steering the pumping action. By this means, a small extra amount of gasoline is injected into the carb's intake duct, when the throttle is opened fast. This fattens the mixture and improoves acceleration, especially necessary for big volume single or twin cylinder engines to prevent "hickup". The installation was common in many of the later Dell'Orto carbs, like the VHB http://www.thisoldtractor.com/dellorto_parts_diagram_for__vhb_carburetors.html, PHF or PHM.

cheers Hans

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 am

Thank you. It appears from your parts diagram I am missing parts #42, 43. Darn, was hoping to install it for fun. If anyone has the missing bits they would be willing to sell, let me know.

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Took another look and I do have all the pieces. I will run it in the spring (when it warms up) and let everyone know if it is any different then the standard set up. I attached a couple photos after I cleaned it up a bit. This is the first one of these I had seen.

Thanks for the info.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”