Group Order for new parts to be made.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

thebossdj

Group Order for new parts to be made.

Postby thebossdj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 am

Hi Motoscrubs,

Just a thought.... reading on a Parllia website a group of those owners have had small batches of parts made.

Has anyone or would anyone look into getting batches of things like fork tubes, Dellorto SS slides made etc. Parts most of use and or parts that always wear out. Heck I would order extra if certain parts knowing down the road I could use them. Figure would put this out there.

Cheers and thanks for listening

Classictrial

Re: Group Order for new parts to be made.

Postby Classictrial » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:39 am

I think you will find the problem with small batch parts is that end users expect the price of a part made in a production run of 100 is going to be the same or cheaper than a run of 10,000. This of course is the reason why so many parts for older bikes are not obtainable. Few years back I had a small batch of very high quality forged pistons made for Fantic trials bikes, thinking they would sell well given all that was available were very poorly made cast ones. They were more expensive than the cast ones but about the same as OE (when available) just didnt sell and I think I still have a couple even now...............

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:00 pm

I wondered this about Delloreto SSI carb jets, needles, and slides. Seems a no-brainer since they are easy to make and there are a lot of users out there and these are considered wear items. Thankfully, Guzzino has some of these items still, but needle jets and main jets in various sizes are not available.

thebossdj

Postby thebossdj » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 am

Totally right on. Owning a few machines with SS carbs I would be down for a 2 of few sizes of slides plus needles and jets.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

It’s a good thought but probably harder to pull off than you’d think.

I thought your idea of fork tubes was a good part to check on so I emailed Franks for a quote. Last time I bought tubes from them they were $250 a set. That was about 5 years ago.

Here is their quote

The price for a set of those stock length fork tubes will be $349.00 plus shipping and handling. The price for 10 sets of those stock length fork tubes will be $3,490.00 plus shipping and handling. The price for 20 sets of those stock length fork tubes will be $5,600.00 plus shipping and handling.
Frank's Forks
“Forking By Frank”
Telephone: 847-475-1003, 847-869-6792
Fax: 847-570-4937
Email: franksmain12@aol.com
Made In The USA

So it just wouldn’t be worth it. Guzzino has them for $300. Widecase and ducati vintage has them as well.

Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”