Location Location!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

EMZEDDER

Re: Location Location!

Postby EMZEDDER » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm Norwich area and have never seen a local single or bevel twin for many years. Good to see someone remotely close and an event would be great.

Buster

Postby Buster » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi All,
Great for the response, maybe keep this active and see if more UKers come out.

I have seen the occasional single at Fetes and country shows in my area, and a few at Kop Hill, I shall put a note on any I see in future and recommend a visit to this site. There must be more out there!

As an aside to anyone looking for parts, although it is expensive for delivery and possibly customs duty, the purchases I have made from people in the US have been brilliant.
Merry Christmas!

Buster

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:02 pm

At the 1960 London Earls Court motorcycle show, Diana Concessionaires of London, the FB Mondial importers had a stand with one of Mike's ex works bikes on show.
The gentleman I spoke to was Stan Hailwood, who invited me to cock my leg over it. The result of which, I purchased a new 175 Mondial Sprint.
I think Stan the wallet had his finger in a lot of pies.

scan0021.jpg

This is something I wouldn't part with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Nice souvenir.
Who are the 3 Hailwoods that signed it?

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Mike signed it at the 1978 TT, his son David and widow Pauline signed it when they opened the Hailwood centre at Brands Hatch, but I can't recall the year. Tragically his daughter Michelle lost her life with Mike in 1981.
Brian
Made in England

jezza

Postby jezza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Hello,

I am in West Sussex, not far from Goodwood and very close to a well known biking road, the A272, about which a Dutchman has actually written a book! I have a '66 250 NC, registered in '72 so I suspect that it might be a Hannah bike, but to be honest that's just a guess. I also own a copy of Alan Cathcart's history of the marque, which was published in the early eighties, a very difficult time for the company. I would be willing to lend to forum members in the UK upon the receipt of cast iron guarantees of it's safe return, it is a very good, and very well researched book, and covers the singles period very thoroughly.

I think that the idea of a proper singles community in the UK is a great idea, although mine is in bits...still, I could bring the bits along. Sammy Miller does an Italian day at his museum, which is well worth a visit. July 2018 according to his website.

Buster, in your part of the country (Bracknell) is Brian Silver, in case you don't already know him. He is very knowledgeable and has a Mach 1, another, and a Parilla, if not more. He can be found in the Ducati OC magazine but I could provide a number if you wish. He rebuilt my cooking spec. engine to Mach 1 level with electronic ignition and a modern Dellorto, did a lovely job. Talks a lot but a lovely man.

I'm always amazed at the number of people that I speak to who don't even know that Ducati made single cylinder bikes, I went to the IOM twice in recent years and the only ones I saw were racing - and I am finely tuned to spot a single.

Happy Christmas everyone, and thanks Jim for making this all possible.

Jeremy

Madman

Postby Madman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 am

I am an ex-Uk biker now living in the south of France with a 67 250 nc. Have contacts with Dorset and Norfolk area. My mum lived in Wisbech, a famous town for Ducati people.
I was at the Sammy Miller museum a few weeks back, but no Ducati singles in there.
I think that my bike was one of the Hannah bikes two.
Not sure that I would want to ride mine very far when there are much bigger and newer Ducatis sitting in my garage to use.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Madman, I ride my 250 for 10 days when on holiday ,By the end I am exhausted!, but very happy. It took 8 weeks for my joints to recover. I am definately replacing those clip ons with something more sensible.

Madman

Postby Madman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:33 pm

Cross the channel and ride down here to prove it and I'll be impressed. :-)
I get the new Supersport out if I need to ride more that 15 miles.

EMZEDDER

Postby EMZEDDER » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:18 pm

My bevel is a Mototrans 24 Horas base, I have the original green log book which shows Vic Camp was the reg owner for 12 months and three subsequent owners so has interesting history. Not sure whether it was a demonstrator or whatever, mine does approx 1500 miles per year. I'm over 6 ft but worth the hip and neck pain!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”