Tips for Refitting Main Headlamp Switch?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Samurai

Tips for Refitting Main Headlamp Switch?

Postby Samurai » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Chaps,

Does anyone have any tips as to make refitting the main headlamp switch easier?

I have aleady removed and recorded it once during my restoration when I remade the wiring loom, but it was a real struggle compressing the spring that holds the contacts in place, whilst keeping everything together AND trying to fit the retaining split pin!

I had to remove it again recently to try and find the cause of an elusive short circuit in one of the switch positions and now have to refit it once again.

This time the headlamp is back on the bike and I really don't want to undo all the electrical connections at this stage unless I really have to!

I can't believe that there wasn't an easy way to compress and hold the assembly together on the assembly line back in the day.

Any suggestions would be really helpful and stop the air in the garage turning blue with swearing over the festive season :lol:

Geordie

Re: Tips for Refitting Main Headlamp Switch?

Postby Geordie » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Just came across this by accident and as I have just solved the problem, thought it worth posting. You'll need 2 small cable ties. Fully compress the spring using the ties through the coils at 180 degrees apart. Assemble the switch, snip the ties and remove. Have cup of tea.

themoudie

Re: Tips for Refitting Main Headlamp Switch?

Postby themoudie » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 pm

Aye Geordie,

Smiles all round! :D

Good health, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”