"square-ish" tank

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Fossilrider

"square-ish" tank

Postby Fossilrider » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Hey guys, this might have been asked here before but..... . I just jumped through the hoops needed to get a title for the 350 Sebring I bought a few weeks ago. In the process of all the paperwork, the bike got titled as a '67 when I actually thought it is a '68. I don't know if the VIN can be used to accurately tell the correct year model or not.? The bike looks to have the original tin and, as delivered to me, had the square-ish tank and fenders with the creases. I, like most people, am not fond of this style and plan to use other pieces I have picked up. I have looked up numerous photos of '67 Sebrings and find photos with the square tin and others with the Monza style tank and still others with the Mach 1 style tank. So confusing! Does anyone know for sure when the square tin started? Thanks for any clarification on this. Regards, Steve

SP3

Re: "square-ish" tank

Postby SP3 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Square bits were fitted to the Monza (both sizes) in '66 and '67. The 350 Sebring had square bits from sometime in '66 until '68, if I recall correctly. I'd not worry about having the title match the year built match the frame/tag much. Titling today is completely different than back then. It'll drive you mad if you let it. Besides that, you have to deal with the usual Ducati (Italian) way of using whatever parts they had on hand to finish bikes to ship.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/bikepix/se ... 091304.jpg
1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Monster 900
1999 Monster 750
1998 ST2
1967 Benelli 250 (MW Riverside)

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 am

Hi Steve,

Just to confirm what SP3 has said: both Tom Bailey and Ian Falloon say that Sebrings with the "square" style tank first appeared in 1966. The other styles - what you describe as "Monza style tank and ... Mach 1 style tank" - are both from 1965. P.s Mick Walker says the same.

Dating from the frame number is always a bit approximate. A more accurate way is the date of manufacture stamped on the inside of the lug that holds the front brake plate. But I see that you know this already ... :D . viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2545&p=18943&hilit=fork+leg#p18961

From which I gather you had decided the bike was, indeed, a 1967? Also, I see Tom Bailey says that production of the Sebring stopped in early 1967. So, any particular reason you're now thinking 1968?

Fossilrider

Postby Fossilrider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:59 pm

Boy is my face red!!!! You are absolutely correct, looking back. I do remember, now, pulling the front wheel and checking the lug. There really is no good explanation for such a brain fart (aside from old age and having about 10 projects going at the same time). I tend to jump from one project to another and it does tend to get a bit confusing. And I do remember you guys helping me with this earlier but had forgotten about the dated lug, which seems to be the best way to date the bike. Once again, thanks for wiping the cobwebs from my brain;) Regards, Steve

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”