Hidden timing mark?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Philly Eddie

Hidden timing mark?

Postby Philly Eddie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 am

My 450 spring-head will not even burp after a two year sleep. I get spark, but nothing (even with squirting starting fluid directly into the cylinder). a ).
What is most noticeable is that I can now kick it through without using the compression release. When it last ran, I could practically stand on the kickstarter and it would not move past the compression stroke. So, suspecting a valve issue, I decided to remove the head. All went according to plan until I encountered the upper bevel gears (yes, I am removing the head and tower as a unit). To the point, I see the timing mark on the gear on the verical shaft, but cannot see a timing mark on the camshaft gear. Is the mark hidden behind the safety washer? and if so, can I just move the lower gear mark to a 12 o'clock position and assume it and the camshaft gear are properly aligned? If I cannot assume this, must I remove the nut and washer to find the timing mark? Can that be done without the Ducati tool to hold the camshaft? P.S.: I am certain that the gearing has not been disturbed.
Thank s for any help and /guidance. Eddie

Bevel bob

Re: Hidden timing mark?

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am

Yes the timing mark is hidden ,usually behind the tab but in line with the keyway, I would put the crank at top dead center with the points just opening or openned, then set the keyway vertical and see if the tower halves will align ,could be 180 out or correct so turn the motor over very slowly with plug out to see if all ok ,marks only line up after about 6 ish rotations which is why you dont turn things once seperated unless you can see all the marks.

Philly Eddie

Postby Philly Eddie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Bevel Bob: Thanks. Piston is TDC, cam keyway is vertical and timing mark is centered directly beneath. Am I good to proceed? Can I be 180 degrees off, and if so, does that matter? Lastly, I do not understand the meaning of "see if the tower halves will align." Sorry to bother you with this follow-up, but I entreat you for another reply. Eddie

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes you could be 180 off as the keyway goes right across the cam end and thats why you need to rotate the motor very slowly . With the valve covers off and plug out you should see the inlet close as the piston is comming up towards top and points openning. When you took the head off the joint in the cam drive at the bottom of the tower was seperated , the two halves need to align to get it back together ,you may have to move the crank a fraction .

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”