350 wc frames

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Kthomas

350 wc frames

Postby Kthomas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Does anyone know the differences between the WC 350 frames. I have a scrambler frame and a Mark 3 twin filler cap tank to start with and I mwant to make a mark 3 replica. It seems like the rear frame loop should be straight which I can do with heat. Is the rest of the frame geometry the same ? I suppose there would be some different lugs as well ?
Thanks

Rick

Re: 350 wc frames

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 am

The upper shock mount is different- it goes through the gusset and is welded to the frame tubes on the inside- the location is different too.
My experience with straightening a bent tube with heat wasn't good- just created lots of ripples on the stretched side of the tube- if you know how to do it, great, otherwise I'd do a test before heating the frame.
Rick

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:13 am

The SCR frame is about an inch taller than the Mk3, because of the lower top rear suspension mountings.
You could use shorter rear units, but they would likely bottom out.
SCR front forks are also longer. If you replace them with shorter forks, the effective rake and trail will change (unless used with shorter rear units).
You can try triple clamps with different offsets to compensate.
To avoid handling problems due to too-quick steering on my "cafed" SCR, I fitted an hydraulic steering damper.
I don't like having to use it, but I also didn't like sliding down the road one time I hit a very small road irregularity.
The centre stand on SCR is longer than Mk3, another thing to consider.

Kthomas

Postby Kthomas » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Maybe I'll just find a road frame.
I had a scrambler and if I remember correctly it was not the best road bike. I suppose the rake is different or ? I was going to use shorter road type forks.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”