1975 Mk3 Blue/Gold colour code

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Gianni

Re: 1975 Mk3 Blue/Gold colour code

Postby Gianni » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:39 pm

The Lechler Ducati paint codes show A32 as the color for '75 900SS as well. The blue metallic fairing paint for the '75-'78 (early, not full year)
are all the same. Here is a cut and paste from a Paint Codes FAQ on Steve Allen's site:

john watrous [johnwatrousa at usa.net]
Here's a couple of factory color codes for the early squarecase SS:
sviloid metallizatto smalto alla alluminio #62011 (frame & cycle parts)
sviloid perlato azzurro #62235 (fairing)
I actually have a can of each, the blue metallic is full (.5 L), the silver
(1 L) has been reduced with thinner from a prior tank repaint. Got them from Berliner (US importer) in about 1978. The cans are labelled as being
produced by The International Paint Co. Ltd., Courtaulds Group (London) and also The Societa' Vernici Italianne Standard. I am guessing they were
produced in Italy. They are no longer in business, at least under those
names. Spent some time on the net trying to track them down. They are a perfect match for my '77 900SS. My Imola tank silver is the same, so good back to '74.

Somewhere in a box of old hard drives I have pictures of the paint cans. Back in 2004 or so I gave them to Rich Lambrechts. I don't know who provided paint to Ducati when these bikes were built, but by 1978, it seems that someone other than Lechler was supply refinish paints. Of course, the paint
business went through considerable consolidation over the years, maybe that explains the issue.

One small note, the blue metallic specifies 'perlato', meaning pearl. I did peek inside the can once and it did have aluminum mixed in, so not candy.

Dodge

Re: 1975 Mk3 Blue/Gold colour code

Postby Dodge » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:36 am

:D :D :D
You guys have been so helpful. This is exactly what the forum is for. Thanks again. It's going to be a while before I need the respray. I am going to get the engine/electrics running properly before progressing the refurb. Next problem is a replacement clutch cable barrel adapter (see other post).

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”