Clutch Cable breaking NC

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

alno

Clutch Cable breaking NC

Postby alno » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello,
can someone recommend a vendor for strong clutch cables? I just rebuilt the clutch with new plates and springs and have broken the 2nd cable in 1000 miles (1600km). Not much fun when your 2 hours from home
Al N

Bevel bob

Re: Clutch Cable breaking NC

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

The standard levers don't have a large movement and do not overstress the cable , some non orriginal levers do provide too much clutch travel ,measure the distance from pivot center to cable nipple center , I use about 5/8 ths of an inch.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Terry Cable, Motion Pro and Flanders all make cables or sell parts to make your own.

Matt

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 am

For what it's worth...

I use a Vespa clutch cable (https://www.scooterworks.com/Inner-Clut ... P6793.aspx) and a pinch-type cable clamp as opposed to a soldered on nipple. I just re-use the cable sheath and slide the new cable through it.

I have tried to do the soldered-on nipple, but empirical evidence seems to suggest that a lot of things that can go wrong.

Jim

Ducadini

Postby Ducadini » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Unless You use Your bike in the citycentre and shifts it a few hundred times a day, 2 cables in 1600 km isn't really normal.
Are You sure that the clutchlever assembly is correct ?
It could be that a PO fitted a lever that "matches" the (how do you call that piece on the handlbar :oops: ) but has a different angle/point of action.
So the inner cable could be rubbing and slowly distructing itself, no matter what quality of cable You fit.

Unless it's in the citycentre, starting the engine, giving it a shove and putting it in gear shouldn't be a problem.
Shortshifting and way You go ;)
I've done it with my old Fiat van, so a Ducati will do the same :D :D :D

ciao
ducadini

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm

I used a clutch cable from a Bevel Twin or early Pantah which was very heavy duty and shortened it for the purpose. Works great.
Last edited by Vintmoto on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”