Rear shock disassembly and/or rebuild?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

blaat!

Re: Rear shock disassembly and/or rebuild?

Postby blaat! » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Damn! That was tough.

rear-shox-4.jpg

Notched 10mm from a $10 Amazon wrench to go around the rod. I thought the box end would be better, but the open end turned out to be tighter on the flats so unfortunately I ruined the wrench for no reason.

Used Kroil over the course of 24 hours. Cycled the heat. Worked it loose, tight, loose, tight, etc. Eventually they gave way. The one in worse condition was much harder. I realized it might be because the piston was frozen inside, and that turned out to be the case.

rear-shox-5.jpg

Now to get these apart :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:31 am

It's a bit like industrial archaeology ...

Keep on truckin' ... :D

Octane

Postby Octane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:49 am

I rebuilt 2 pairs of shocks recently with that kit (incl shafts) Was pretty straight forward.

I ended up putting a set of Ikon's on the rear of my scrambler recently though. Big improvement over the standard shocks. :-)

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 am

Octane wrote:I ended up putting a set of Ikon's on the rear of my scrambler recently though. Big improvement over the standard shocks. :-)

:D . A pair of pogo sticks would be an improvement over the standard ....

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Looks like I will need new rods:

rear-shox-7.jpg

This one is beyond pitted.

I looked at the Ducati Vintage Store and I don't think the rods/rebuild kits are the same as mine. I think these shocks are Telesco from a M1 although I could be wrong. I don't have the smaller springs that fit just around the rods... unless they are missing? The internal components don't look exactly like Ventodue's either.

This is a disassembled shot of the one in better condition:

rear-shox-8.jpg

Here is the damper rod rebuild kit:

rebuild-rods.jpg

The rebuild rod ends look a little different, no?

I'm also concerned that I will not be able to properly clean up the inside of one of the tubes that live inside the shocks (shown at the top left of the "exploded view" of my shocks). It was seized on the damper rod when I took everything apart and there is a lot of crud in there. I got it apart, but it could be pitted - it is hard to tell on the inside diameter.

Buy a better pair on eBay to start? Use JB weld on the rods and reassemble with a rebuild kit? What say y'all?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Quick reply:
blaat! wrote:<snip> Buy a better pair on eBay to start?

Yes, if you want to stay original. If you want something that works, prolly best to look at some aftermarket ones. Hagons perhaps - or Ikons as Octane fitted?

blaat! wrote:Use JB weld on the rods and reassemble with a rebuild kit?

Personally, I wouldn't ... You could be disappointed.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:12 am

+1 for Ikons

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Going for all original so aftermarket isn't an option.

There are a lot of shocks that look similar from the outside but hard to know if they are the same on the inside. The parts book shows Mach 1 (and all other models) as Marzocchi not Telesco. We're the mid '60s narrow case shocks all the same thing, just open chrome springs or covered?

Thanks.
Jim

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm

The stock shocks are all very similar but there are detail differences over the years. The bodies and shafts are pretty much the same but the seal holders had a few different designs. The big distinction with the Mach 1/Mark 3 shocks is that they had a plastic shroud underneath the spring that protected the shaft. And, as you observed, chrome springs.

Telesco were installed on the Spanish (Mototrans) models.

Matt

SP3

Postby SP3 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:18 pm

amartina75 wrote:Have a look at this

http://www.motoscrubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1983&start=10

Also I used medium weight synthetic fork oil in mine.
The spring compressor is nice but not totally necessary you can do it by hand with a helper, might only cost you a beer.

I'm on that thread. Of the near-10 sets I've done over the years, the most oil that ever come out was 65 ml. The very first set I ever did, I followed another site's instructions that said to use ATF and fill to the top. I would not do that again though I never had trouble with their function. Somewhere I still have the dyno sheet from that set. :lol:
1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Monster 900
1999 Monster 750
1998 ST2
1967 Benelli 250 (MW Riverside)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”