350s year?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Fossilrider

350s year?

Postby Fossilrider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:29 am

Greetings folks, Steve (aka Fossil) here from Chattanooga, Tn.. I just picked up a 350s that is quite complete, with the exception of the rear fender and exhaust. I am really excited about this project but, before I get too into it, need to jump through the local hoops to get it titled. So..... I need to find out what model year it is. The VIN is 04426 which, according to the list I found on line, is probably a 1967. Can anyone here confirm this? I understand the info about some of these bikes sitting for a year or so and being sold/titled as the year of the sale instead of the actual year they were built and that makes no difference, I suppose, as long as there were no significant changes during that time lapse. I just hope to title it as the correct year since it is a real pain to change info on a title here, once it is issued. Thanks for any help. Regards, Steve

Jordan

Re: 350s year?

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:43 am

There may be a clue as to year, if you have the metal shrouded fork model.
Remove the front wheel and look at the anti-braking torque lug cast into the fork leg, that engages the brake backing plate.
Some years they stamped on the inside edge of it.

Fossilrider

Postby Fossilrider » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:03 am

I've been told that and will check it out this weekend. Thanks, Jordan. Steve

Fossilrider

Postby Fossilrider » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 pm

OK guys. I pulled the front wheel and found the stamped date on the fork leg lug. It is: 11 66 which, would be either a '66 year model or, I would prefer to think, a '67 since it is so late in the year 1966. What do you guys think? Thanks, Steve

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 am

I think a motorcycle assembled in Italy whose forks weren't stamped until November of 1966 before being mounted to a motorcycle in the process of being assembled, whose assembly process had to be completed and that was subsequently shipped to the United States distributor (Berliner) by boat and forwarded along to a dealer wouldn't have been sold as a '66 model but rather as a 1967 model year.

My opinion.

Jim

Fossilrider

Postby Fossilrider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am

I agree, Jim. That would make the most sense. I'm just going to go with '67. Thanks, Steve

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”