Painting my 175 T

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Gina

Painting my 175 T

Postby Gina » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi, Got some great help in my initial post a while ago.
I need help with the above.

Those of you who have restored their Singles, have you gone down the modern route of poweder coating or the traditional wet paint method?
If wet paint, does anyone have a good recomendation as locally seems a bit thin on the ground. Everyone is happy to powder coat.

I would like it to be done tradionally but also comfortable either way.
In any case, there are 4 layers to come off as she had been painted twice, and not a nice colour either 2nd time around.
Also notice that it appears not to have a connection for a speedo. I think I remember reading that some orginals did not have a speedo.
Mine is a 1957 and whilst it may not need a speedo for the MOT as I belive that 1960 and above need one, i fear i may need one to be on the roads anyway.
Can they be easily retro fitted.

As always, any help, advice, recommendations very much welcome.

Best

Kevin

Jordan

Re: Painting my 175 T

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm not a fan of powder coating.
PC is initially impressive and affordable, but not durable in the long term.
I think we've all seen that. If not, look for any junk pile of outdoor furniture for example.

When the coating is scratched, protection is lost, rust takes hold and leads to hideous flaking of the plastic finish.
It is not treatable by "brush touching" as is other paints, even if done early to try to catch it before it spreads.
High quality preparation is claimed to be needed for a durable powder coat, but how to know if you get that?
A friend with a new Harley-Davidson had severe flaking on his frame around the steering head after a couple of years. He sold it as the cheaper way out.
A motorbike frame is not always an easy thing to repaint, but PC would be OK for small, easy to access things, like garden tools.
A 2 pack spray paint might be a good alternative, if you want a tough finish.

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 pm

I would say wet paint if you are doing a period correct restoration that is intended to be similar to original. If it is more of a resto-mod or custom then go with whichever is more available and affordable. Either process can last, but you will need someone that does high quality work with proper preparation.
-Jim

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Something to think about;
Powdercoat goes on as a dry powder, electrostaticly, which means it covers EVERYTHING. It goes on way thicker than traditional paint. Anywhere coating is not wanted should be covered after prep and before application. With powdercoating, if you remove coating after the baking process, you have created a broken edge of the coating which leads to the flaking off and corrosion that follows. Places on a frame like head tube interior, mounting surfaces for rear swing arm, threads for rear shock mounts, etc. should be be covered and protected before application of powdercoat. It's sort of like with chroming, there are certain things you don't want chrome on...
May or may not be helpful...
Bruce.

DucMonzter

Postby DucMonzter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi Kevin,

Powder coating often tends to have a thick, orange-peel texture, which does not look original on these bikes. I would recommend painting for this reason in addition to the reasons stated above.

Jeff

Gina

Postby Gina » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Guys,
Great feedback and just the ticket for confirming what I thought.
Wet paint is is.
I really want this to be as close to authentic as I can. Sure, 1957, things have moved on, paint specs are better, application technic's I'm sure have improved, but the bike is still from 57 and I think it would be total justice to have her back to her glory, just as close to possible as to what she was like when she rolled out of the factory.
Anyone any clues as to where I could get a steering damper kit from? and maybe a tank cap? Tried all the UK people who have advertised.
Also, I'm a bit confused as to my rear light unit. Dont think it was the one fitted as new.
I would like to keep as it came with bike, but get the impression it coild be off a newer one with the round lens and not the original "
File 08-09-2017, 18 33 38.jpeg
opening eye"

Any thoughts either way?

Best to you all for the feedback so far,

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Since you're casting about for opinions, there's a whole thread on taillights: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1316&hilit=taillight.

You could choose an appropriate taillight for the bracket you have from: http://www.brezzisamuele.com/it/home-pa ... descA&pg=1

Matt

Gina

Postby Gina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi Matt,
Thx for this and the guide. The guys web site has some other useful items.
Best
Kevin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”