Selling my Mach 1S

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

bikester250

Selling my Mach 1S

Postby bikester250 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 pm

After owning it for 46 years I've put my 1964 Mach1S (s/n 00007) up for sale on e-Bay. At age 72 I can no longer pretend that I'm flexible enough to ride it and I don't see the point of locking it up in the garage.
I'd like to thank all the people on this forum that have provided advise and technical help. It was often invaluable.
If you are curious here is a link to the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Ducati-Mac ... 2658937315
Regards and thanks again,
Phil

SubaruPaul

Re: Selling my Mach 1S

Postby SubaruPaul » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Bump up.

Just down the highway from your old location.

Did you get this bike through Ghost ? Or Freddy Marsh , or ?

Pardon my curiousity. If you don't mind chatting about local CT area stories of old please feel free to. Back in the mid- to late 80's I became Ducati/Italian bike crazed. Spent some time with Freddy Marsh and the guys who vintage raced who clung around Marsh Motorcycle.

The Ghost guys I could never warm up to but it's nice that they were there.

Best of luck with it. Was funny watching those early bids.

Cheers!
Paul in beautiful Bridgeport.

bikester250

Postby bikester250 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Paul,
I asked Frank Calder about that several years ago. He told me that he'd bought it from someone at Berliner who had decided to race 350's instead of 250's. Then the bike went thru multiple owners before I stumbled on it. One of those owners installed the electrics; Frank told me he raced it total loss (two coils, battery, and points with fixed advance).
I bought a few parts from Fred Marsh back in 71; my memory may be off on this but I recall that the guy I got it from had electrical system problems (fancy that). Turned out it needed a new voltage regulator and Marsh had one in stock (very handy in pre-internet times); think I also got the standard advance unit from him. Both of these are still on the bike today.
Left CT in 72; there sure were lots of nice twisty roads.
BTW if you look for Frank A. Calder on Facebook he has posted quite a few old pics of him and the bike back in the day. Don't know why he refers to it as a desmo in several places.
Phil

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I recall those fellows at Freddy's also riding total loss.

Marsh's was a museum as time went on. The Japanese came along and bought him out of most of the Indian and expensive European bikes and parts during the early 80's. But he still always seemed to have what you needed. He stocked his shelves from DomiRacer/Accessory Mart as time wend on. Other sources too as he could. It's own story that place , but another time.

Glad you made it out of CT. (?)
Land of the Rich , Home of the Poor.
Great here if you can afford it. Yes , lots of great riding roads if it weren't for the modern car and SUV drivers.

I'm hoping you hit 5 digits soon on your Machine.
Cheers!

Coop

Postby Coop » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:08 pm

I see the Ebay Auction ended, $9,600.00 USD, Reserve Not Met. Good to see the values are up on these.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”