New 350 owner/help ID a 66

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Stickbow

Re: New 350 owner/help ID a 66

Postby Stickbow » Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 pm

Howdy all, jumping back into this, got the bike running yesterday to some degree, but I think my cheap walmart battery is toast as it doesnt really hold a charge. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap glass mat style 6v battery?

As a separate note, is there an easy way to check how much oil is in the bike, its constantly leaking and I dont want to run it low on oil.

Also think its alright to use a gasket sealer in place of the old, beat case gaskets?

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue May 05, 2020 2:40 pm

No easy way to check the oil, unless you change to the type of dipstick that has a thumb and forefinger flat on the top, so that you don't need a spanner, although normally, severe oil leaks do not actually leak a lot of oil, as a little hot oil goes a long way!

The silicone sealant choice is personal. I hate the stuff, because it is a pain to remove, especially if you are taking a cover off frequently, but others use nothing else. Anthony Ainslie, who was a top Ducati tuner in the UK told me that he used no gaskets whatsoever.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 pm

What is so difficult about removing the dipstick to check oil level?
Ducati singles can be assembled with gasket sealer in place of gaskets. There are some precautions to take. Do not allow sealer to obstruct any of the oilways that pass through mating surfaces. Do not allow sealer to enter threaded holes for the fastening screws. Screws run into holes filled with sealer will lead to stripped threads or cracked cases. If sealer is used with center cases or timing covers that were previously assembled with gaskets, all shimmed shafts must be adjusted to accommodate the loss of end play. Use as little sealer as necessary. A thin bead along the center of the gasket surface is all that’s needed. Silicone sealer would not be my first choice. I’ve used 3bond, also sold as hondabond, yamabond, etc. (relabeled 3bond sold by the Japanese manufacturers). Inspect the gasket surfaces for any damage inflicted by previous disassembly. With sealer, a flat mating surface is absolutely necessary.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”