Ducati 350 scrambler 5th gear issue

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Eldert

Re: Ducati 350 scrambler 5th gear issue

Postby Eldert » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:13 am

Ducati350ontario wrote:
Sorry, ….. but after looking at parts books (instead of parts-web sites), it looks like I'm supposed to have the 2mm washer beside the bearing for chain sprocket and then another 2mm beside the bearing for the clutch basket. (so each shaft has a heavy duty washer at one end for thrust?)

Hi Jeff yes there are 2 two mm washers on both shaft .

make sure when shimming the gearbox to put on the front sprocket and the clutch or a piece of tubing on the clutch side . so you pull the shafts al the way up against the bearings .

Eldert

Ducati350ontario

Postby Ducati350ontario » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:01 am

Hi guys. Finally got everything backtogether (life always prolongs things!).

New issue. I stared her up and right away oil started leaking from my center banjo bolt. I tightened it up as much as i dare.... but i suspect the oil is simple not draining at the bottom of the tower. (it has new banjo bolts with the proper washers on both sides of each banjo bolt)

Could the lower tower gaasket be blocking drain holes? If yes, im assuming i have to drop the motor and just lift off the cylinder and tower together?

Any suggestion?

Thanks
-jeff

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:47 pm

If it’s the same as my narrow case, the bevel tower comes off with the head and can be done with it all in the frame. If you mean the bottom part of the housing then it’s a bigger job.
If you take the banjo arrangement off, can you squirt some oil in to see if if drains away?
Mine leaked when first put together, mainly from the centre bolt. I’ve swapped aluminium washers to copper and it’s better but still weeps.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm

The gasket on the lower bevel tower flange can only be installed one way. There are notches in the gasket for the oil drain passages. Not likely you have a problem there unless it’s a hand-made gasket. If you decide to remove the head, position the piston at TDC on the compression stroke with the timing dots on the upper bevel gears aligned. With any other positions, the cam may move when you lift the head off and it will be difficult to install the head. You can remove the head with the engine in the frame. It is most likely that you simply have leaking sealing washers at the banjos. The aluminum washers don’t work particularly well and any flaws in the sealing surfaces will exacerbate the problem. Best solution is to install Stat-O-Seals in place of the aluminum washers. There is a line of metric Stat-O-Seals but i’ve found these impossible to locate. The inch sizes will work; there is one that’s a little too big and another that’s a little too small but they do the job. No more oil pipe leaks.
Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”