SSI29d on 250 M3 NC

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

SSI29d on 250 M3 NC

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:12 pm

I have for a long time suffered with jerky running on very small throttle openings, I have tried adjusting the pilot screw while riding in this condition, weaker or richer just makes it either die or worse. A little more throttle and its fine. I have tried a bigger cutaway slide but did not help. I think the problem may be float sealing or level. Anyone sorted someting similar.

Jordan

Re: SSI29d on 250 M3 NC

Postby Jordan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Running an SSI carburettor can be a nice hobby.
For a change, I put on a VHB square slide type.
I can report that starting and idling is vastly better, and it progresses more smoothly as the throttle is opened.
I wish it looked racy like the SSI though. :)

CaptonZap

Postby CaptonZap » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 am

Bevel bob wrote:I have for a long time suffered with jerky running on very small throttle openings,.

Is the slide worn, and a loose fit in the bore?
Since most of the time, on road bikes, the slide is down, the constant pulses of the induction force causes wear on the lower portion of the slide and bore, which changes the suction on the jet as the slide slops around, and air leaks around it, changing the mixture, thus the power produced. Which equals jerking.

CZ

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 am

CaptonZap wrote:
Bevel bob wrote:I have for a long time suffered with jerky running on very small throttle openings,.

Is the slide worn, and a loose fit in the bore?

That sounds reasonable, but my own SSI had a brand new slide in a body that is not too worn.
I'm not saying I'm a carby master, but I tried several different combinations of jets and adjustments with only passable results.
It could be that it is a racing carburettor, not optimised for perfect running at low revs.
Has anyone obtained really good all-round results with an SSI ?

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:18 am

The slide and carb are a good fit and if weakness were the problem then I would be getting spitting and popping, No its too rich, but only just off tickover. I will be working on the float seating first and if this has no result then will try to lower the fuel level a fraction ,still on the lookout for a sensible cam (grey prefered) as this could also be the dreaded reversion rearing its head.

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 am

I must say I was expecting more issues based on what I had heard when setting up my 29D. I used stock settings with a new 60 slide, needles, and jets and the thing runs amazingly well. From idle too red line. It won't idle real low which is fine considering there is not much oil pressure at very low revs.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”