175/200 parts interchangeability

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: 175/200 parts interchangeability

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 am

I had a look at the swinging arm yesterday. It seems there is a hollow pin which is fixed to the swinging arm, and the bearings must be in the frame. There is a grease nipple so I guess they are plain bearings.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 am

ducwiz wrote: Did you scan the entire manual?

Sorry, Hans, but that would be a mammoth task! Too much for me and my little 'one-page-at-a-time' scanner ... :o

However, here is re-scan, hopefully clearer, of the valve timing and ignition advance tables:

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:27 am

ranton_rambler wrote:For the dating, I am told that DVLA prefer the manufacturer to provide the information if possible, so a helpful lady at Ducati Wolverhampton is trying to sort this out for me ...

As previously advised, Livio Lodi is the man to help you. Have you tried contacting him?

https://it.linkedin.com/in/livio-lodi-a128a710

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I've not tried Livio yet, but will do if the official Ducati enquiry gets nowhere. I'm not so fussed for myself about an exact date, as long as I can get an age-related plate from DVLA. Would be nice if it was MOT exempt, or eligible for Levis Cup and Moto Giro which both have pre-58 classes.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:23 am

Ventodue wrote:
ducwiz wrote: Did you scan the entire manual?

Sorry, Hans, but that would be a mammoth task! Too much for me and my little 'one-page-at-a-time' scanner ...

Thanks for the new scan. And OK, I understand your objection against my proposal ...

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:30 am

I had a spare couple of hours yesterday so had a go at measuring the valve timing.
I ended up taking the head off because one of the screws in the front valve cover had been replaced with a slotted head, and the frame tube means I couldn't get a screwdriver straight onto it. Luckily as the motor has only been loosely assembled it only took a few minutes. It did allow me to look at the bore, which looks good, and I think it has the standard low compression piston.
Does anyone know the thread pitch in the end of the crankshaft? I used the kickstart lever to turn the engine over to measure the timing but would be better if I could rotate the crankshaft directly. The book says 8MA, but I haven't got my head round the old Ducati designations yet. Most screws and nuts seem to be MA or MB.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:46 am

ranton_rambler wrote:The book says 8MA, but I haven't got my head round the old Ducati designations yet. Most screws and nuts seem to be MA or MB.

These are two of the Italian thread designations that were in use prior to November 1964. There were 5 in total, but in practice we only need to be concerned by these two: MA and MB.

MA = standard thread

MB = fine thread.

Standard thread for a M8 (= 8mm, btw) is/was 1.25mm.

ma.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.s.

While I'm on a roll ;) , here's a few other codes you might come across ...

TC = Testa Cilindrica = Rounded headed screw
TE = Testa Esagonale = Hex headed screw
TCEI = Testa Cilindrica con Esagono Incasto = Socket (Allen) screw
TCBEI = Testa Cilindrica Bombata con Esagono Incassato = Button socket screw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks, very useful little chart. I suspected that was what it meant, but wanted to be sure before I messed up the thread. Google failed to come up with anything.
I also figured out that I could measure the pitch - small piece of paper rolled up and inserted, then ran the shank of a 6mm drill up inside to make an impression of the threads. 4 pitches = 5mm so standard pitch.
I've now made up a little device so I can mount a timing disc and rotate the crank both ways.
Ian

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”